Range Technology Active Fuel Management…

Does this allow me to roll coal?

I bought one but I’m very nervous about it. The reviews are mostly positive but the bad ones are really bad.

That’s a lot of $ for 3$ eprom

send me the eprom and i’ll send you the 3$.

If I plug it into my 4 cyl engine will it give e V8 power? I could really use that!

SO! I just installed this fella on my truck. Again, it’s half the price amazon has it for but limited time only. The device was labeled blue on the ad, the box is blue, the device is red. I can’t explain that bit. I haven’t really GOTTEN ON IT yet but it did lock the truck in V8. I didn’t get that weird shudder or hesitation anymore when driving that I used to. The muffler on slow down was audibly louder due to it not switching to V4 to decelerate. We will see what the future holds when I get on the interstate but it locked it in 8. That was the main goal.

Ordered on Friday, received on Monday! Installed on 2007 Tahoe LTZ. Works like it claims, no 4 cylinder mode. Description says blue, the color of the Led lights on the unit, but I received red. The box even has a big red sticker on it. After researching on the Range website, color is just a preference. It means nothing about what it is capatible with. The GM AFM (automatic fuel management) system,IMO,is a terrible idea considering how it works and the potential for failures that results in thousands of $'s for repair. We were one of the lucky ones that have made it to 145,000 miles without it failing. Just Google " GM AFM " and read how this works and some of the stories of failures.
Happy with this purchase and glad for the price.
Thanks Woot!

Thinking back I’m thinking AFM is Active Fuel Management. Either way it’s too much going on inside an engine for such a little increase, If any, in MPG.

Hey all, I removed the color from the title. I reckon this is why it hasn’t been selling and was in aged inventory for us to grab. Your WIN!

I’ll take 10 of them, but wouldn’t know what to do with it. Is this info somewhere on one of the forums? I have done some things to engines trying for a better MPG. 96 Suburban with a homemade hydrogen generator was just one project that I worked on for about a year. Had some success in supplementing gasoline with hydrogen.

On the Range website you can choose red,blue,green or yellow. It’s just a cosmetic preference thing.

Just like getting a CD from Microsoft and I have to pay for a lot more than the cost of a CD. All the people doing the coding doesn’t cost anything at all.

Here here!

I order a few and they have green and red stickers. I haven’t opened them yet but does that mean the colors may vary? (not blue as described in description)

What condition are these since it doesn’t say on the product page. New, new open box?

There is a lot of studys about this most of the time its a cheap chip with blinking led’s. No one should think this will improve fuel economy while increasing power. If it was true company would tout there product even more by including it or just improving their products. With all the makes and models, it would have to have been tested on each to model some kind of dataset to run each car or truck. It’s a buncha crap to sell to gullible or conspiracy lovers.

Is it supported by the manufacturer for firmware updates?
Needs to be version v8.6 and above for some issues with battery drain when parked.

The intent is not fuel savings with this, but specifically to disable the AFM scheme that shuts down half of the cylinders under light load.
The concept was apparently poorly implemented, not rotating the cylinders that are shut down, always turning off 1-3-5-7 only, and causing wear issues on the transmission from their constant compensation for the uneven power delivery.
My concern with this is that older units had problems with them causing the check engine light to come on and battery drain by not going to standby when parked. It requires it to be sent back to the manufacturer to be reflashed, as it’s not something that can be done yourself.
Since this isn’t returnable if there are problems, it’s risky.

It’s new.

How can you tell if this is actually working and AFM is disabled?