Amazon Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD

Amazon Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD

Be cautious on this product.

As far as I understand from personal experience these are not supported by Amazon and are unusable unless set up years ago. I purchased one month’s ago from Woot and due to its age Amazon support was unable to assist new users to log in to their accounts as it utilizes an outdated log in method. They were surprised these were even being sold.

Had to go through the Woot refund process, where they had me just keep the device since it’s a brick and useless to return. Process was smooth enough but still disappointing. Not sure why they are selling them again- I use it as a drink coaster presently.

2 Likes

Is laharpe correct Woot? What gives?------------------------------------------------
Are Mortimer & Monte too busy throwing poo (chimps are the best in the animal kingdom, but was actually refering too digital crap and pointless pushes and such) to have an Amazon Device Brick being sold not only once, but a second time here in WootTasia? This kind fellow WootTonian, laharpe, is trying to help us not waste time and money all around,not to mention setbacks in carbon footprints and physical waste, and no one running this WootTanic fail is even aware or has responded directly where myself and many WootTastic believers in the WayoftheWoot are about to buy this hassel.----------------------------
You know trying to get Amazon Prime video and Amazon Prime music on any device that isn’t able to have you properly log into your Amazon account is almost impossible and at best and extreme hassle. I like that even though this device was 2015 it was very forward-thinking allowing 4K and more powerful and faster processor then even the most current TV stick. More upsides? All the connectivity options, even direct LAN (I’m not Wifi or Bluetooth distance needing or at risk of any of the security issues that can arise from wireless). Down side? Alexa voice remote 1st gen (No volume controll or possibilty of poering on TV? Is this the Dark Ages? It’s most definitely because these were established 2015 and packaged that way but seriously, we couldn’t open a box and squeeze in the third gen remote? Simply so we don’t have to feel like neanderthal with a TV remote in one hand for power and volume and then a very fancy voice powered search remote for the device in the other. This deal starts to look less rosey when you add either a 2nd gen or 3rd gen Alexa voice remote just so you can turn your TV on and off and the volume. But come on, if I can’t do it all with one remote I’ll have to get another arm because my two original arms are being occupied by remotes and this new third arm will have to be my snacking, drinking, and other activties arm since the original two are way occupied with TV and screaming maintenance. But anyways, I digress. SOMEONE NEEDS TO DOUBLE CHECK THAT AMAZON CAN STILL CONNECT AMAZON ACCOUMTS TO THIS 2015 DEVICE. Dont tell me something that I’m going to try to return and they won’t accept as a return and then I have to throw it into the local landfill or worse add to the continental sized gyers that are are forming and destroying ecosystems due to our carelessness. OH SNAP! It’s an Early Morning WOOT! rant heyheyhey-------- Oh Woot, you always get me going, In some kinda way, thats why I keep coming back, I’ll be true, I won’t stray lols-------------------But seriously, check that and since I only see laaharpe’s review put something about it being able to be used currently. Thanks! Love! and Great Deals!?

1 Like

Actually would you believe this is at least the 3rd time they’ve tried selling these since I fell victim several months back (November 2021)? They tried selling them again on January 11th (based on my “forum activity” history where I put a warning out on that batch as well). And now here they are again.

Moral of story is always check electronics before purchasing - probably the biggest goof I’ve seen was literally selling CUJO smart firewall devices - the products had been officially EOL for a period of time before Woot attempted to sell. EOL date was March 2021, they were selling them in November 2021, basically 8 months after they were bricked.

It wasn’t until people were commenting about how the website literally says devices are EOL that they finally stepped in and put a stop to the sale, refunding buyers. The iPads are usually EOL as well, Chromebooks they’ve gotten better at least putting a small print note that they either already stopped receiving security updates or have the date the devices will stop.

So yeah. Always double check electronics on here haha

1 Like

I bought 3 of these and had no problem adding them to my Amazon account and using them, even up put them into developer mode after adding them to my account and I am running an alternate launcher that is similar to the native Android TV interface from Google, instead fo the ad-laden Fire TV launcher interface. I specifically bought these for the SD card slot and the USB ports, which have disappeared from other Fire TV devices as well as the wired ethernet port.

What you may run into, is these devices were released prior to Amazon pushing out two-factor authentication (2FA). I have been using 2FA with Amazon for years and have been on the bleeding edge of adding older devices to my Amazon account. Though I had no problem with adding these Fire TV boxes to my account, I did have issues with adding older Kindle 3s (aka Kindle Keyboard) to my account, I prefer the older units with physical page turn buttons, especially when reading in the wintertime when I am out hunting and want to keep wearing my gloves that don’t work with touchscreens.

The problem is when adding some older devices you put your password in and the device looks as if it just fails to login and you are not presented the dialong box to enter the login code sent to your mobile device. Instead of entering your password a second time, enter the code sent to your device into the password filed and submit it and you should then be logged in to your Amazon account on the device in question.

I hope this helps.

1 Like