Echo Plus (2nd Gen)

Echo Plus (2nd Gen)

If you’re already an Alexa home and want to improve the sound quality for streaming music vs any generation of Echo Dot, this Echo Plus 2nd gen at $55 new is a good value. (While the current reference price is $100, I believe it was launched at $150.)

Although, confusingly, as with the 1st Gen Echo Show 10 that Amazon named 2nd Gen due to the Echo Show 7 being the first show, Amazon labels this Echo Plus “2nd gen”. This Echo Show Plus 2nd gen is actually based upon the 3rd gen Echo! (Yes, it is the second version of the Plus that includes the Zigbee smart hub.)

What that means - this “Echo Show Plus 2nd gen” has slightly nicer sound quality vs a true 2nd gen Echo. It is about a half inch fatter, 3.9” vs 3.4”. Its woofer is 3.0” vs 2.5”. Its tweeter is 0.8” vs 0.6”.

If you don’t need that Zigbee hub in the Plus version of the Echo like us, true, the Hub does consume more resting power vs a non-Plus/Zigbee regular Echo, but according to the measurements I’ve seen, it isn’t a deal killer. On the “plus” side, if you do not have a smart thermostat, the Plus/Zigbee version does contain an ambient room temperature sensor. That means you can ask Alexa for the room temperature, unlike with a regular Echo.

Edit Bonus: it isn’t the latest 4th Gen Echo with its silly dust collector fabric-covered globular form factor and LED status ring hidden underneath!?!

Bummer - unlike the new Echo Show 5’s being sold here today that include the original 1-year Amazon warranty, these new Echo Plus 2nd gen’s only have the 90-day Woot warranty.

Guessing that is due to these Echo Plus’s being plain box new inventory that Amazon used to replace failed customer units still under warranty… vs the Echo Show 5’s being regular retail box units.

I got dizzy and think I saw a glitch in the matrix while trying to comprehend that statement. Not your fault by any means; I’m just slow on the uptake at times.

I think I’ll get one to use outside in my covered porch. Just hope the wi-fi reaches out there!

Haha, that’s kind of the point - Amazon’s Echo device generation-naming conventions can be contorted. :wink:

(BTW, I ordered one as well.)

I got mine a few days ago and am very happy. It is not taller than my other Echo, but it is wider and definitely has a richer sound.

Got mine as well, within a couple business days. But Amazon, in its wisdom lately, trying to ship everything in paper envelopes rather than boxes, surprisingly did so with this bulky item. The Echo box itself arrived pretty beat up - so good it wasn’t a gift. (The “plain box” wasn’t all that plain - black with an Amazon logo on it… just not the typical more descriptive blue Echo-style retail box. Wouldn’t prevent me from giving it as a gift - to someone who already has other Alexa devices.)

Agreed, the sound quality of this Echo Plus 2nd Gen (actually a 3rd gen Echo + “Plus” - easy to tell it is “3rd gen” since it shares the same size/shape top with the Echo Dot 3rd gen), with its slightly larger speakers, is noticeably fuller, richer vs the Echo 2nd gen. Very obvious sound difference side by side… and I think, even apart from each other. Especially at higher listening volumes. The older Echo 2nd gen is not as clean sounding at higher volumes either.

The higher power demand is clear since this Echo Plus 2nd gen shares its larger 30 watt wall wart power supply with the Echo Show 10 1st gen whilst the prior gen Echo 2nd gen uses a smaller 21 watt power supply.

If classical music is your thing, the sound quality differences between these two models almost disappears.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, my box arrived in an envelope, too. And it was similarly beat up. There was even a rip in the envelope. But the product itself appeared new or otherwise in awesome condition.

The sound is definitely richer and deeper out of the box. I’d buy another at this price if and when they become available.

I got my Echo Plus (2nd gen) today and ordered it late yesterday afternoon. Super fast delivery! The device itself came in an Amazon shipping box, safe and sound. It has a few scratches on the face of the device, no biggie. But it was missing the power adapter! I contacted customer service and was called immediately back. A new device is being prepared for shipment, with a power adaptor this time, cross my fingers.

Customer service was surprisingly painless and efficient. My issue was solved within 10 minutes of opening the box. Great job Woot!! :star_struck::saluting_face::+1:t3::fist_right:t3:🫶🏼

1 Like