Dell 11.6" Intel 16GB Chromebook

Dell 11.6" Intel 16GB Chromebook

WARNING - DO NOT BUY

Device is End of Life; this means no more security updates / bug fixes / etc will be released for this device. If you are looking for a Chromebook that will “just work”, this is not what you’re looking for.

Note that new Chromebook/box devices come with six and a half years of updates (from the date of release).

If you’re looking for a Chromebook to tinker with and know what you’re doing, carry on.

Screen resolution isn’t the greatest, and even though this isn’t an expensive device we’re at the point where a 1080p screen is NOT an expensive part to manufacture.

THANK YOU woot for putting the End of Life date at the TOP of the specs!

2 Likes

I’m looking for something to install Linux on. Can anyone see any problems by using this device for that? My reasoning is that this might be better than buying some ‘beater’ from a random person.

I’m familiar with Linux but have never tried installing on a laptop or chromebook.

It only has 4gbs of ram. Not sure how good that will function depending on the linux application. Also since this is … would this support the linux call container (or was Android the latest addition)?

If, and only if, you are comfortable reflashing the firmware (replacing the Chromebook’s equivalent of a BIOS or UEFI), then yes, this can be converted into a normal laptop that runs Linux just fine (it should even run windows if you like to punish yourself). I already have two of them that I converted a couple years ago (also from woot) and I just ordered 2 more.
The firmware I’m using is SeaBIOS… just google the model name of this laptop (from the title of the sale page) and “SeaBIOS” and you’ll find the same instructions I used at the top. It worked on the first try for me on both machines.

As to performance, it depends on what you expect. Check cpubenchmark.net for comparisons between this CPU and others you’re familiar with. This is a Haswell line CPU, so has some significant performance improvements over predecessors, and actually out-performs most much newer “N” celerons in most Chromebooks that you’ll find on Woot (and elsewhere). For it’s age, it’s actually a quite nice CPU. :slight_smile: The GPU built into the CPU isn’t horrible either (again, better than the N-celerons) to the point where it can comfortably run Minecraft (without custom texture packs, don’t expect to do that).

IIRC, the SSD is not upgradable, so you’re suck with 16GB of storage plus whatever USB sticks and SD card you stick into it (keeping in mind that you can get enormous SD cards these days, but they’re not speedy like an SSD).

The RAM is definitely not upgradable, so you’re stuck with 4GB.

The display is ok… it’s your basic bottom end laptop display (no 1080p here).

Again, it runs Linux just fine. Both of mine run Ubuntu MATE with ZFS root. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I recommend not using ZFS on this particular device. That’s just because the 16GB is painfully limiting (otherwise, definitely… I’m a huge fan of ZFS). If you do choose ZFS, just remember to regularly manually clean up snapshots, as it leaves too many around and can be bothersome during updates.

It’s a Haswell CPU, so too old to run the new Android layer they added to ChromeOS (if that’s what you’re referring to).
But see my other post, it can be converted to a regular laptop with a firmware reflash.