Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - Smart Speaker

Echo Dot (3rd Gen) - Smart Speaker

1 Like

The 3rd gen Echo Dot remains the best of all Dots. Might even be the best all around value Echo device regardless of model or generation. Same sound quality as 4th Gen Echo Dot but does not have that silly globular dust-collector fabric form factor and does not hide its LED status ring underneath like the 4th Gen Dot.

$20 for a less than “Very Good” or “Like New” seems a bit high in that these were regularly available new for $20.

1 Like

I agree, this DOT I prefer over the 4th Gen. I think the 4th Gen for music sounds a little better. But it sometimes gets stupid on me when asked something. I only need to ask my 3rd Gen once for a response, plus I like the footprint better.

In theory, the 4th gen Dot sound should have cleaner “highs” since its speaker is up-firing vs the down-firing speaker in the 3rd gen Dot. (High frequency sound is much more directional than low frequency sound.) But side by side, I could not hear enough of a difference across different music types that I’d notice - especially when not side by side.

And both the 3rd and 4th gen Dots use 15 watt power supplies, implying similar amplification. Oddly, even though the connectors are compatible, the wall warts are different.

Amazon, bring back the Tap!

I also prefer the 3rd generation over the 4th. What I could really use is a couple 3rd Gen dots with the built in clock. I think they were discontinued before I even knew they existed. Might just have to bite the bullet and get the 4th Gen clock models.