Fire HD 10 Tablet (2017, 7th Gen)

Fire HD 10 Tablet (2017, 7th Gen)

Bought the 64GB model. Very happy with it. It can be a little sluggish, but it works great for what I do with it, reading, browsing. I unlocked it to the Google Play store which greatly improved the App choices. I can now use Evernote which I use on all my other devices. Same for ZINIO. This is a great tablet for the money.

3 Likes

@Wooter479230308 - thanks for the post. I have several of these and I agree that they are great for the cost and for what I use them for. I may have missed it, but don’t see whether these have the Ads or not. Did yours? Thanks!

1 Like

Do these have kid mode on them?

2017 models are not supposed to have those ads such as 2018 and up models are ad supported. However, as previously mentioned before these do run old outdated firmware that one can update with such developer permissions checked that may be harmful to the device if done incorrectly. That said not recommended for most users.

Also, the only real difference between this version and kids version is the case as both use same hardware with a bit of tweaking to the OS which prompts adult user to setup childs account settings.

(A Big note: I don’t work for Woot and occasionally ramble on about how much I dislike it as a whole. Although, deep down we are one at :heart:."

1 Like

@StefanMakaSL1MSTEF - Thanks for contributing to the discussion. Not sure what you mean by 2017 models are not supposed to have those ads. Do you mean that the 2017 models sold by woot don’t have the ads? Being cheap, my 2017 models (I bought them from Amazon) have ads - they don’t really bother me, but having no ads is a bonus. I bought an 8 inch 2018 model from Woot and was pleasantly surprised to find it didn’t have ads. If these 10 inch 2017 models don’t have ads, I am tempted…

Hi, 7th Gen is not supposed to be ad supported as far as I recall however 8th gen and up are ad supported. Sometimes these are mislabeled or such. Are you sure when you view those bought from Amazon under device settings it states 7th gen?

@StefanMakaSL1MSTEF - 100% positive. Looking at both of them now - they both have ads… wasn’t interested in paying $15 extra to have them ad-free.

I have several of these running the os level 5.7.0.0. The new version of the Alexa app requires Fireos level 7.0 and above. It will not run on these tablets. It begins to open then closes. So if you use the new Alexa app be aware it doesn’t work on the 2017 level tablets. Unless someone has a way to drop the Alexa app back down a level.

@Wooter496319630 - thanks for the information about the new Alexa app; I’ve been lazy and both of my 2017s are still at 5.6.9.0 (haven’t run the update) and the when I open the Alexa app, the banner on top says that “A new version of this app will be available soon and will require Fire OS 7 or later”. I am assuming that as long as I don’t update to the new version, the version of Alexa app on the 2017 HD 10 will still work?

So far it is still ok. The alexa app also requires user intervention to install. So I’m hoping it will keep working unless Amazon forces the new app on us. What I find so amusing is, as much as Amazon pushes Alexa that it would be a Fire tablet which won’t work with their own app. They should allow an older tablet to run an older version.