Apple 12" 2016 Intel Core M5 512GB Macbook

Apple 12" 2016 Intel Core M5 512GB Macbook

WARNING

With Apple’s latest announcement this device now has ~2 more years of updates from Apple before the device goes End of Life. This means no more security updates / bug fixes / etc will be released for this device. If you are looking for a Chromebook an Apple laptop that will receive updates and support for several more years, this is not what you’re looking for.

Anything prior to 2017 will not be able to update to MacOS Ventura which was recently announced.

1 Like

Ah, forced obsolescence… Apple saying they love you in the only way they can: buy more.

I can’t wait until they’re practically free in ~2 years because they will become sweet Hackintoshes then.

Such a waste of so much good hardware :confused: Thanks for the heads up. This was news to me.

1 Like

It’s also hard for Apple to move forward with new features and technology if they have to support ancient hardware. They have to cut some lose.

I can’t support a company that won’t fork different flavors of their OS to support the hardware they sold to people even as recently as they have. Even Microsoft does that and they have shown how little they care in many other ways.

It puts the burden on every other software developer instead. Hearing that Avid products like ProTools (as well as most third party software) won’t work is astoundingly in favor of their own benefit over their customers. Wine, VMWare and others have to pick up their slack when they have plenty of money to do so themselves.

There is no real limitation or obsolescence in the MBPs of only a few years back other than they don’t feel like dedicating the software human resources to do so. The upgrade mentality creates a lot of waste as well. They are great machines and the new silicon is impressive; Apple just doesn’t fight for the users that made them rich.

1 Like

With you 100% and one of the reasons it’s difficult for me to think about buying a mac in the future.

1 Like

Then stop selling the hardware (Apple that is).

Look at the Watch 3. Apple is STILL selling it and it’s already been announced that it’s EoL.

1 Like

I made the grave mistake of buying a Mac Pro a while back. They lost me putting in 32 bit gfx next to 64 bit CPUs as if that was sustainable at all.

For years, we tried to implement iPads as point of service kiosks in dozens of hospitals and clinics. The batteries blew up in every single one of them. Within our system, we had more lithium go up than the number of (similarly affected) reported Samsung devices that made headlines. Of course, it was right after the warranty period. How they flew under the radar with that is beyond me.

Combine that with their right to repair greed and I swore them off.

PS: if your iPad of yesteryear loses wifi that won’t come back with a factory reset, the battery has likely ballooned to a fire hazard point that took out the wifi card, but you can’t see that through the case yet. The batteries expanded enough to separate the screen from the case if it didn’t outright catch fire. No recall.

Interesting on the iPads; we’ve used them at work as well with minimal issues. I totally believe you; I wonder what the difference was/is.

1 Like