(NEW) Google Pixel 5 w/5G 128GB (Fully Unlocked)

(NEW) Google Pixel 5 w/5G 128GB (Fully Unlocked)

The 5 has 5G and great value. I have a 6 and Google still hasn’t fixed an annoying bug with that models new chip- the app switcher keeps freezing other open apps when using Maps… as a gig delivery driver having to restart Instacart Shopper multiple times a day sucks big.

2 Likes

I dont have that issue on mine but my screen likes to flash randomly and the speaker phone is jacked up. the print sensor is horrible too. seems its a software thing because certain apps open so fast it feels instant.

1 Like

I need to upgrade from my 3XL as Google has stopped providing updates for it, but if I buy the 4 or the 5 that only gets me how much more updates before I’m in the same boat again? Really wish Google would be more like Apple in this regard. I am not spending MSRP on a 6 or the upcoming 7.

Eta: the 4 stops getting updates THIS OCTOBER. So yeah seems like a good price but you’re only getting a little over 3 months of updates! The 5 drops off next October.

5 Likes

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

5 Likes

Consider their A series. They’re almost as good, and much cheaper! Check out the Google Pixel 5a or wait for the release of the 6a! I love Pixel phones. I’ve owned 1-3, but Samsung offers a better value for the price. I’ll probably be tempted by the 6a despite being happy with my old Galaxy S20 FE.

3 Likes

Google is emailing some Pixel 3a owners with an offer to trade in their phones and get a Pixel 6 for $479 until July 30, 2022.

The 6 isn’t perfect but it’s got a great camera and will get security updates until the fall of 2026. I’d go for that over buying a Pixel 5 at $449.

1 Like

Is this the GD1YQ or the GTT9Q?

1 Like

Hello. Per the vendor: GD1YQ

Is this item returnable? I read items with Lithium Batteries may be outside the standard return policy.

It is but you’ll need to contact Woot Customer Service to get the proper battery labeling for the box.

I’m on Google Fi and this is why I’m doing the 2 year phone replacement subscription thing. Once the 6a comes out, I’ll upgrade my 4a for “free” since the cost of the phone is built into the monthly payment. In the end, it is a discount cost compared to the full MSRP.

2 Likes

How happy are you with Google Fi, and what environment are you in? City/suburb/country. Thanks!

1 Like

Mostly suburb. I like it. We had no issues with connectivity on recent trips traveling to Florida and Hawaii. (good coverage on main highways, airports, popular tourist places)
The only consistent issue I’ve had is when leaving home in the car, it seems like it takes a bit for it to switch from Wi-Fi over to cell data. If I try to use hands-free Android Auto in my car with the Google Assistant to text somebody as I’m leaving the neighborhood, it’ll say “oops there’s a problem with the connection try again”. I may have to try a couple of times before it gets connected. After that, it works fine. If in an area with poor cell signal, you might get similar issues trying to use features that rely on the data connection. Calling has fewer issues, but I don’t make many calls.

We have 3 devices on the Simply Unlimited plan for $75. This plan allows a tiny bit of hotspot usage before charging $10 per GB. So the unlimited only applies to the phone. (not tethered devices) Simply Unlimited also it doesn’t apply to international travel.
There is a more expensive totally unlimited plan that also allows international use.

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like a referral code.

2 Likes

The biggest problem with the A Series is no wireless charging. That’s an automatic deal-breaker for me.

And reverse wireless charging. It’s like a magic trick you can do for your iphone friends with low to no battery.

Pixel 6a will be priced around $449, so take that into consideration.

Wireless charging is a go, no-go determination. If it doesn’t have wireless charging, I wouldn’t care if it was free.

1 Like

We all have our preferences. My phone is capable of wireless charging, but I don’t see the advantage. I like to be able hold my phone and use it while it’s charging. When I’m sleeping, it’s plugged in next to my pillow. I dont have to set it down in a specific place. The charging base is connected to a USB cable, so why not cut out the middle man. I guess if the charging port ever went bad, wireless charging would look really good, but I havent had that happen yet with any of my Samsung or Google phones. I would be curious to know why wireless charging is a must have for you.

1 Like

Well, in the past with micro USB, it would wear out and the the phone would be chewed up around the plugin, after 3 years 4 years of use. Might be due to the Otter case???

Now fast forward to the new USB C charge port, less to go wrong trying to plug it in. And the it charges FAST with my charger from Samsung. (the latest along with S22 Ultra). I feel it can charge at least twice as fast with that. However, not in a hurry, I use the wireless charger and feel that’s better for the battery anyway??? not sure. Definitely better for the phone’s port.

And I also have a Otterbox Defender on my Samsung and they made it to where I digging for the charge port with the usb C plug. They made the case to were the port is right up against the opening and makes it hard if you are plugging it in with low light, meaning I’m searching for the hole with the plug. Not good for the phone’s port.
And that happens even if I THINK I know where the hole is in the dark.