Vinyl by Skullcandy True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds

Vinyl by Skullcandy True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds

Please Read

Hello. Here are somethings to try before giving up on the earbuds

1. Make sure you give the earbuds a full overnight charge before declaring them duds. They may be fully drained and require a long first charge.

2. Try cleaning the contacts on both the earbuds and inside the charging case. A cotton swap or old toothbrush should work.

9 Likes

I bought a pair of these a couple months ago, and I just found the volume to be really weak compared to other buds I’ve owned.

15 Likes

My wife bought me a pair of these when they were last on woot: Vinyl by Skullcandy True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds

I can confirm the volume is pretty weak. It’s noticeably very weak. I gotta crank them to max and they’re still weak.

The battery life claim seems a lie. They have three LEDs on the front of the case to indicate how much charging is left in the case for the buds. I fully charged mine up, but they didn’t last more than 6-8 hours of the 14 hours that is suggests; likely due to the volume blasting these little things to max.

They really oddly don’t fit well in my ears. I’ve tried all three of the silicone caps for best fit, but these still want to pop out of my head. I use them while biking, and even the calmest paths tend to knock them loose. I spend a lot of time just kind of shoving them back down into my ears to try to not lose them. Even smiling and waving to people on the paths make the earbuds wiggle out.

I loved Skullcandy but if this is what they’re selling now, I’m moving on. It’s not me; it’s you. :broken_heart: :laughing:

30 Likes

The volume is just the right side of okay for wearing in bed, but there’s myriad other issues — as another noted, the fit is not great, plus the design leads to uncomfortable pressure on the ear if I’m lying down. The short battery life of the earbuds is a problem, and the case doesn’t seem to hold a charge very well. The controls, meanwhile, are arcane — trying switching pairing from one device to the next. Volume adjustment is a magic trick. Pause/resume likewise. The clicky buttons are loud.

6 Likes

I bought last time on sale- paired with iPhone EZ.

Sound is adequate- fit is perfectly comfy using the gel that was already on it -

I use 1 at a time & it announces when battery is low- switch with other bud & 1 is always charged up & ready 2 go.

Case is really sturdy- so EZ pocket travel.

For $10 I would recommend & buy again

Thanks WOOT! ( i can contribute other than snark)

9 Likes

Yeah, the product might be pretty old by now and battery’s degrade over time even if they’re not being used. Manufacturers usually exaggerate battery life or at least manipulated to provide the most generous estimate possible. Add to that battery denigration and I’m not surprised it’s lackluster but of course it’s also only 10 bucks.

I haven’t tried it, but probably still better than an ONN from Walmart or something

3 Likes

Mine were DOA, no lights, no charging just dead, more like skull and crossbones…

8 Likes

Did you give them a full overnight charge? They ship batteries dead for safety.

7 Likes

Just got these. Fit my ears perfectly and stay in. As for volume, I don’t notice that they are too low. They certainly won’t fry my eardrums, but full volume is loud without being uncomfortable. And for $10 it’s a no brainer.

8 Likes

They’re usually shipped around 60% but storage may impact that. Might also try wiggling them around, cleaning the spring contacts, and closing the lid very gently: the spring contacts on true wireless earbuds can be finicky and I’ve had mine (a different Skullcandy model) lose connection from letting the lid snap shut normally: just enough of a shock to break the connection. I’m also in the “one earbud at a time” team though, so if one tells me low battery before I expect, I just swap.

I think this is a relatively older model, fwiw. But hey, name brand for $10? I’m tempted.

7 Likes

Don’t waste your $10. Very uncomfortable, very weak audio and bad battery life. Read through other comments and it seems to be a trend. Too bad. I usually love skullcandy.

3 Likes

Honestly, for 10$ these have no business being this acceptable. I wouldn’t say they’re good but you could buy far worse for the price.

13 Likes

Much like the other reviews, I agree that the sound is not the greatest compared to Skullcandy’s actual products (the non Vinyl products) however don’t let that stray you away from purchasing these. I only intend to use them for the hour or 2 I am at the gym. This is the perfect purchase for my situation, cheap & gets the job done. Now if I was running or wanting to use these all day on a loud environment, perhaps at that point these would not be the best.

Considering I recently bought them, I haven’t needed to use them for more than 2 hours at a time so the battery life is fine for me.

I also connected these to my laptop & conducted a virtual meeting, no issues with sound during that time.

Hope this helps someone else!

5 Likes

The tone and the sound quality is better than I expected. I will agree with many other commenters that the volume does not go as high as it should. I wouldn’t use these if I were into music and liked to crank it every now and then, but I use these to pair with my bedroom TV so I can watch TV late and not keep my wife awake and for that purpose these are perfect although for a comfortable level of listening they have to be turned up to about 90%. For 10 bucks I would buy them again for what I use them for. The fit in my ears is also better than I expected. One other downer is these use the old USB-A connection, not USB-C. so I had to dig out and old cable because invluded cable is only a few inches long but again its still easily worth 10 dollars.

6 Likes

Buds are a dumpster fire. I know they’re cheap but avoid these.

2 Likes

They do not keep a charge, either–well, the left one doesn’t. The bit of troubleshooting I’ve done indicates this is a common problem :slightly_frowning_face:

Please Read

Hello. Here are somethings to try before giving up on the earbuds

1. Make sure you give the earbuds a full overnight charge before declaring them duds. They may be fully drained and require a long first charge.

2. Try cleaning the contacts on both the earbuds and inside the charging case. A cotton swap or old toothbrush should work.

5 Likes

Gave them a full Charge. Everything worked corrected yet the sound is bad, very bad. Woot was great in providing a full and quick refund. Reminded me of a cheap 1960’s hand held 3" transistor radio - that bad. Hurt my ears.

3 Likes

Skullcandy makes garbage earbuds, earphones, and candy candy. They sell these at grocery stores next to the staplers. There’s a reason why this same earbuds sale has been up for weeks.

5 Likes

No. No you cannot. $10 is an hour of hell at McDonald’s to buy these. Sony makes wired ones far better.

2 Likes