HP 17" Laptop (Intel 11th Gen, Your Choice)

HP 17" Laptop (Intel 11th Gen, Your Choice)

1 Like

Does this have a backlit keyboard?

Sorry, it does not.

If you buy, get the i3 model. Although it has less memory (RAM), the 512 GB SSD would make up for it. Both CPUs are 4 cores and 8 threads and performance is near identical, with the i5 offering better iGPU (graphics) performance.

If the i5 model has an SSD, I would recommend it. Unfortunately it comes with a HDD, which I don’t even know why it is an option in today’s world.

I bought the same i3 model in a prior deal, at a higher price, and my spouse is very happy with the laptop. It was a Mother’s Day gift for her.

Have not tried to increase the RAM so I don’t know if it is easy or not.

2 Likes

You can easily upgrade everything but the CPU/iGPU (which arent much of a boost but decent enough to go Iris for only $70). It depends on the user’s use case ofc. But I wouldn’t base a laptop purchase off of drives or RAM over CPU.

It is weird that they include an HDD as a boot drive at this point but there is also a slot for NVME as an upgrade path. Then you’d have both drives with the better CPU and Iris graphics.

If unable to do this yourself, a local tech that isn’t Geek Squad should do it for cheap.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is the same model. It has appeared many times before. You can get in an expensive SSD drive to upgrade and it’s a really good bargain for the i5.

I received mine a few days ago and would like to note a couple of things - there is a backlit keyboard (at least on the bigger i5 unit). Mine came with Windows 11 Home preinstalled.

I like this notebook. It has more than enough juice for using as a home computer and it can handle the demands of my job when having to work remote.