McAfee Total Protection 2022 (3 Device)

McAfee Total Protection 2022 (3 Device)

Sorry but in my years of using a PC McAfee has always been a computer killer.

1 Like

So I don’t need to pay this random ‘tech support’ guy in Kolkata who’s been SMiShing me with fake invoices about my expired ‘softwares?’

1 Like

McCrappy is a scam. Also, you need to stop letting the interns update the site. “McAfee Total Protection 2022 (Your Choice) (Detour) RENAME THIS”

Sad Shame GIF

3 Likes

McAfee is definitely still bloated and does slow down computers, but it has gotten considerably better over the past two years. I still would recommend other options, but for the average user it’s fine. I would definitely recommend reading AV-Test’s reports on various AVs before jumping to buy one. Also, remember that YOU are the best antivirus. Conscious clicking is essential in staying safe online.

3 Likes

I work so hard to keep McAfee OFF my computer… every damn thing tries to install it and once it’s on it’s a real pain to get off. Update your Razer software? Update CCleaner? Update your nVidia drivers? Be sure to UNCHECK or NOT ALLOW McAfee or you’ll wind up with it.

I think a computer that sneaks in with another program, wrecks your computer, and makes it hard to get rid of it… I think that’s called a trojan. Or a virus.

3 Likes

I came here to say this. I would rather have the virus.

1 Like

I worked in IT for over 30 years and the worst computer virus I ever got was virus protection software, just saying.

I’ve been in IT my entire life. I’ve never added to these forums but I had to save someone. Mcafee and Norton are 2 of the worst av programs. Don’t believe me, try removing them after you install them.

It’s not 2003 anymore, and you can find free av programs that are lightyears ahead

1 Like

I did the math, it takes less time to format and restore a computer than mcafee takes from you in slowed computer times over 3 months. Not worth having unless you get a virus every 3 months in my case, haven’t had one in over 10 years, knock on veneer.

2 Likes

I have too. I did an experiment on a slightly older version and it wasn’t an issue to remove. The experiment consisted of taking an old, never used activation code from 2015 to see what version of installs. It installed the latest.

My main issue with it was that it didn’t have a global whitelisting function. If you happen to do anything with Blockchain, chances are you have some files that will register as PUAs, but you can’t whitelist them! You can exclude it from an on demand scan but not not an automated one. So you’ll be restoring things it messes with every time it runs a scheduled scan.

The experiment then induced whether McAfee support can do anything about it. TL; DR the answer was “no”. You can submit the files for review, but they won’t reconsider them.

It did uninstall just fine though…

1 Like

It’s actually hard to believe consumer AV is still a thing in 2022. Windows Defender is MORE than enough for 99.99% of home users - and I’d hope any organization with data sensitive enough to require more serious protection isn’t sourcing their security from “woot”.

1 Like

CrapAfee is hot garbage. I do tech support and without fail, if this garbage is on the client’s computer, it causes issues. I just remove it without even asking at this point and no one has missed it.