Kindle Paperwhite (2018 Model, 10th Gen)

Kindle Paperwhite (2018 Model, 10th Gen)

1 Like

Sorry, but I’m not going to spend $60 on a device that is going to send me advertisements. Please Woot!, List a reader that I can own and use as I wish without someone tracking me and sending ads.

6 Likes

Are any of the kindles ad free? Probably be black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Amazon for all their hardware.

2 Likes

For a very long time, Kindles have come with book ads by default, and the option to remove them is about $20. They used to just charge more for the ad-free version and then changed to this model instead.

Also, do you understand what the “ads” are on the Kindle? They’re not like web ads. It’s just a lock screen image about a particular book. Once you unlock the device, there’s no difference between the “special offers” model and the one without. It’s not obtrusive or annoying at all, especially not in the way you’re probably imagining. (And I am pretty sure there is no “tracking” like you’re thinking of it, either—there’s no need, since Amazon already knows what ebooks you buy whether you’re using a Kindle or your phone/tablet to read them.)

18 Likes

Front page deal? $60 for a four year-old Kindle - whose battery life has degraded over that time - and that is ad-supported is not a “Woot.” If this were $40 it’d be worth considering.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’ve ever owned a Kindle with ads, but the ads are only for a book, or sometimes a product, on the lock screen when you’re not using the device. When you’re using the Kindle to browse your library or actually reading a book, ads will never display.

The same is true of the Kindle Fire tablets with ads. Only an ad on the lock screen.

Just in case you or anyone else thought the ads were intrusive.

As far as tracking, even with an ad supported Kindle or Kindle Fire, you can go on Amazon’s privacy setting webpage and turn off location based services, device usage info, and app usage info.

10 Likes

same device, $10 or more less if you just scroll down a bit in computers… and you get to pick the color… why is this one the daily deal?

3 Likes

The others are used/refurbished. These are NEW.

The ads are WaYyyy more intrusive on a fire tablet. I have also used the ad versions on Kindle (and even bought a book or 2 through it). I keep getting ads for cars on the fire tablet!

1 Like

I’ve owned almost all (maybe all?) versions of the Paperwhite, and the improvements made on the 2021 version are probably the most significant between generations. The flat screen keeps dust from settling in the corners, the screen is larger, USB-C charging, warm light, and faster processor that makes the whole experience much snappier.

Amazon has semi-routinely discounted them to $100, and there was a bundle with the fabric cover (what I use) for $120 during Prime Days. You can always trade in nearly any working Kindle model for a 20% off voucher for models still sold on the site. The base price is $140 today, so with the 20% voucher and the 10% Prime card bonus, the net cost would be right around $100 minus whatever you get for your trade-in.

It might not be worth the extra cash for everyone, but I’m sure happy I upgraded.

5 Likes

How do you like it compared to the Oasis? I picked up a refurb one of those recently and it seems super nice… for many of the same reasons you describe with the newer paperwhite.

I hated my Oasis, I tried for a year, and went back to my Voyage. The screen is better, but it doesn’t fit in my pockets, and the bare metal chassis is terribly cold to my hands in a cold room, I miss the screen, but one of my kids has it now, I’m much happier with my Voyage.
I might get the Paperwhite Signature, you get the screen improvements in the old form factor (it’s a tiny bit wider, but I think it will still fit).

1 Like

The 2022 Paperwhite is currently $99 at several retailers (but not Amazon). Its $94 for the 8gb and $99 for the 16gb version at Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-8-gb--now-with-a-6-8-display-and-adjustable-warm-light-2022-black/6482038.p?skuId=6482038

3 Likes

Yes. They used to offer the “special offers” model at a discount from the full-price, ad-free model, but a few years back decided instead to make the SO the default and allow you to remove the Lock Screen ads for $20. When I upgraded, I expected to be paying the $20, but the offers are so unobtrusive that I don’t care and saved the $20 instead.

2 Likes

What are you complaining about? The ads literally only appear on the lock screen and sometimes at the bottom of the Kindle Store.

2 Likes

It also seems to be $95 at Amazon and Target now.

Source: Honey

So you can get 5% off with Target Circle, 5-10% off with a Prime credit card, or use Best Buy RewardZone. I may get it at Target because if I spend more than $50, I may get a $10 gift card (I made the first qualifying purchase a week or two ago).

1 Like

I can’t comment on the Oasis since I’ve never used one. The Paperwhite has always done what I want it to do at a “I’m not going to be too angry if I lose this or it gets stolen” price.

1 Like

I bought one of these for my dad for Christmas and it would not register. Amazon said it was a “lost/stolen device”. They can tell this by the device’s serial number. I would highly recommend NOT buying these from Woot. They are also not offering to replace the device. Very disappointing…