ecobee3 Smart Thermostat

ecobee3 Smart Thermostat

Came in an unmarked box with only one trim plate, thermostat scratched up but otherwise in one piece.

Does not correctly recognize thermostat wires - have two other ecobee units in my house which work well. Probably not the highest-level refurb process on this one.

Not sure what I expected, but would not recommend. Buy a thermostat new and save yourself the hassle.

1 Like

Hi there, if you haven’t already done so please reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

Please allow at least 24 hours for them to respond.

(Please Note: I’m not employed by Woot, but I volunteer to help in the forums.)

Another thing to point out: there was a model of Ecobee3 which supported Apple HomeKit for automations and control center integration, and an EcoBee3 which does not. We have the latter version.

That said, ours has worked well at two homes. At the 2-story townhouse, the remote sensor was the best thing… allowed us to set the nighttime temperature based on our bedroom, while the main unit downstairs prevented the living room from feeling really cold during the day. Schedules work well, assisting with removing humidity works well (I’m talking about how sometimes it runs the fan without heat or cool, but actually it does support whole-house dehumidifiers and other A/C accessories), the eco mode seems to be aware of the “feels like” temps after years of firmware updates, it can automatically go to energy saving if nobody is home, show the weather forecast, etc.

At our second home, I discovered the type of lithium “coin” batteries the remote sensor uses tend to drain even if you leave them in their package (not Ecobee’s fault, just saying don’t bother buying a battery two pack), but we didn’t really need to use the remote sensor much because we have a one story house. Also, the remote sensor aged yellow on the UV rays of sunlight… good to know it turns ivory, but that also means that it was probably made from the tougher PBT plastic, like high end mechanical keyboards. The firmware is awesome now… one story living helps with temp consistency, but I really think the firmware improved accuracy and comfort over time. I installed the power adapter because our real house doesn’t have a C wire, the number of wires looks intimidating but the instructions are clear and it’s wasn’t too hard after one re-seating of a wire.

So, despite not having HomeKit, I trust my Ecobee3 to do its thing, and our family has really appreciated it. I would not buy a new one with Alexa and put more microphones in our house to mis-hear voice commands, and I would not buy another brand like NEST because the Ecobee3 remote thermometers are really good (when I get a fresh battery, ours will be placed so the system can better tell when we’re home). No guarantee on the condition of these here on WOOT, but ours was a refurb and works well.