12 Bottle Cubby Wine Rack - Gift Week

Sparking wines and screwtops are the only exceptions to that rule that I abide by. In most cases, unless you have experience with the vintage of wine, you probably won’t know what kind of corking material is in the bottle until you open it. Most synthetic closures do allow air flow like a cork. Some appear to have been encapsulated in plastic (Hogue) and likely do provide a pretty impermeable seal.

if it has a cork, it prevents it from drying out…if it has a cap, to the best of my knowledge, no.

Dry corks do allow for leakage…But I am more worried about so much wine being bottled with a cap and not a cork. Lots of labels are doing that now and it confuses/pizzes me off.
Am I wrong or shouldn’t all wine be ‘corked’…I don’t think of myself as WineSlob at all, but that seems like sacrilege.

I WineWooted the ‘Rack’ btw…Great gift for someone on my list.

so did mill. +1

yeah aged wine sucks

cause the wine ends up tasking like crap in the long term if you keep the wine for longer than a year. One prominent napa producer just changed away from the synthetic corks cause they realized that their wines which were 5-6 years old were having absolutely foul tastes due to that fact that synthetic corks actually “might” let in more air than normal corks.

check out this very good article “to cork or not”

you can also check this link out about a wineries own tests

Find fabric Christmas picture… spread the Aleene’s Tack-It Over & Over Glue on and let dry. Press that puppy on anything including sweaters or doors. It peels right off like a sticker. Works like a charm. You could do the same thing with little wine charms and press them to this wine rack if you wanted. :wink:

yay woot! and yay racks!!

Accommodates standard wine bottles held so the corks remain moist

What corks?

Anyone know what kind of wood this is made of?

Cellulose from a dead thing.

I might have bought these if I had it been a month ago, I got a couple of these last month (they’re pretty good, though the wine woot is a bit more classy):

Classic.

Great idea. Good price. But I am way beyond the need for a 12 or 15 unit rack. Thought about buying one for my son in college but unfortunately he has caught the bug and has needs for a larger unit as well. Thanks for the idea. I now know what to get him this year for hanukah.

Once again I say “dangit, WD”. How am I gonna fit THIS one into a “9” line. This shoulda been the Saturday noon offering :wink: Dangit.

As for the offering, I’ve become a little wary of racks that don’t require tools for assembly. I kind of like the reinforcement of screws or nails at the crossings. Does it come with wood glue or do you need to go out and buy that separately? Or is it REALLY stable enough to hold itself and 12-15 bottles up? And the non-stackable feature makes me sad. Think I’m going to have to pass…

My 7 year old could build this for $7.50. Not that attractive. I’d personally pay to have someone take it away from my house if I got it as a gift. Not a great woot at all. This one is a pretty big let down after all the great woots we had in the past week.

The kind you buy from a hardware store. Looks like 9 - 1"x4"'s sanded and glued together. Go to you local highschool and ask the shop teacher to grab some scraps and build this for you. Actually this is probably Woodshop 101’s mid-term project.

Wowwww.

Is the wood unfinished?

Sure he could if he had a joiner, a stationary shaper and didn’t choose a wobble head to cut his dados. I’d guess most folks that w00t here don’t have a shop in their garage that could do this.