12 Survivors Survival Gear

>Stainless Steel

No thanks…

That opening commentary is right on the mark.

Then came the 1992 riots and some natural/man-made disasters and suddenly being prepared for unplanned (potentially hostile and long-lasting) emergencies doesn’t look so bad.

There’s always the potential for problems, being prepared for them isn’t paranoia, it’s prudence. No one can be counted on to protect or provide for your family but you…and it really is your responsibility.

Kudos, Woot, for offering useful products at a great discount. Thank you.

April 26, 1992. There was a riot on the streets, tell me where were you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi8KJ0boov8

Are the ax and fixed blade knife both full tang?

Nothing wrong with stainless steel for blade material. In fact, SOG, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Gerber, and many other top blade manufacturers use stainless steel. It depends on what kind of stainless steel.

My guess is that since they don’t specify and given the price point, it’s 440A. On the plus side, it’s low cost, highly resistant to corrosion. On the minus side, it’s a relatively softer material but that also makes it easier to sharpen.

How much does it fucking weigh?

That hand axe looks like a superb tool for a zombie apocalypse.

I’m just sayin.

I’m with you on this one.

I can’t see that “chisel” being of any value.
If the handle was better quality I could see using it to split some wood.

Does anyone know what “ambidextrous lubing holes” on a backpack is?

I think it means there are two holes on top of the pack for the hydration bladder to run out for the righty or lefty.

Pass…even though I have been waiting to find a good light weight hachet for my backpack kit, any cheap handle of any kind will give out in a matter of weeks to months just because it is not sturdy enough to repeated use. And if not a full tang, then the likely out come will be it will break with in one to two uses.

You were at home watching your TV.
While I was participating in some anarchy.

Aside from Gerber, the companies mentioned use a lot of stainless but generally shy away from 440A/C and 420HC. You will find a couple knives in their catalog that will use it, but they are generally legacy knives that have been there for a while. In 2013, 440A is bottom of the line steel when you have options like 8cr13/14mov that come in around the same price.

I don’t want to be too much of a nay-sayer, because it can be a passable steel in a budget knife. But the heat treat has to be perfect. Buck and Ka-Bar are notable examples of companies that do 440A right. I don’t think that will be the case here.

Why? They look like they are re-branded Gerber Bear Grylls knives. Which I, and many in the knife community, find to be complete garbage.

I understand that price is an issue, but there are other knives that do well at low costs like this. Look to Kershaw and Buck to deliver better value with a better knife.

is this because world war z just came out? I wish the there was a multitool for my bike. much more useful