Amazon Echo Show (1st Generation)

Amazon Echo Show (1st Generation)

5 Likes

I have to say, we’ve tried other newer versions of these and they don’t tend to work as well or sound as good for some reason. We’ve now replaced the newer echo shows with these and we couldn’t be happier! Between the echo dots and echo show first generation bargain S & Ds, we’re golden.

5 Likes

I agree. The sound of the newer ones are trash compared to the first one

4 Likes

I can’t compare this 1st Gen to any newer ones, but I did buy this first gen a couple of years ago from WOOT for the same price. Still today it works and sounds great. Pretty good for just $25

6 Likes

Will this work with Zoom?

1 Like

Don’t think so.

Supported devices:
Echo Show 8 (1st and 2nd generations)
Echo Show 10 (3rd generation

4 Likes

Mine just died this morning. I got it when they first came out. I hope my new acceptable one won’t be too dinged up.

7 Likes

Please share when you find out. I just got my “Good” yesterday to replace a newer generation (sound quality really is MUCH BETTER on 1st Gen) and it didn’t have a single blemish. Just repackaged. I hope yours is truly acceptable!

6 Likes

There was a small gouge and several scratches on the glass. I doubt they
will be noticeable when it’s on but definitely not “good”. I already had a replacement so this one is to replace the replacement. Amazon will probably stop supporting them before I need it.

5 Likes

I fear greatly when this happens. The gen 1s are in my estimation the very best sounding and most durable ones. My only complaint is Amazon keeps adding new features to the Home Screen so no matter how many times I disable them, stuff keeps coming back when all I want is time and weather. But they’re still way better than any of the later gens, even if boxy. We have 6 of them around our house and love them!

4 Likes

My favorite thing is that the speaker is on the front. I use it to watch stuff while I’m cooking- the entire kitchen doesn’t need to hear my crappy movies.

7 Likes

Thank you! I guess I’ll just hold onto the two that I have and pray they outlive me. Happy crappy movie viewing to you! :wink::rofl:

4 Likes

Great units, only weak point is the power cord.
Added alittle electrical tape at both ends to reinforce.

2 Likes

I find the audio better on the echo show 8 or at least the 2020 version. But it is nice to have the front firing speaker and I believe a slightly bigger screen as well.

Plus this is less expensive.

In fact I think I paid $35 for one of these on woot 18 months ago. I eventually traded it in to Amazon for 30 bucks and 25% off another echo speaker. So not bad $5 to use for 18 months and then get maybe $30 off in echo speaker …

2 Likes

I mean I guess there’s different levels too ending life of a device. I imagine these probably do not get much in the way of feature drops. But I have to think it would be a long time before they completely shut down the servers entirely so they stop being functional at all.

But I don’t know maybe I’m wrong.

But I have heard other people mention some of the older echo dots are not formally supported but they still work, they’re just sort of stuck in the software state they were at the end of their update life cycle.

So most things still work although increasingly overtime there will be more bugs etc. .

Nothing else it would still be a functional Bluetooth speaker. I can’t remember if it has the 3.5 mm port or not.

2 Likes

I’ll ride the 1st gens until they end, let’s hope you’re right and it’s a long time off.

Probably well after the zombie apocalypse, anyway.

2 Likes

Wagon show keeps going off in the night no routines are set up annoying now I know why it was 25 dollars

1 Like

What’s a wagon show?

Sounds fun!

homer simpson episode 21 GIF

1 Like
1 Like