Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet (7th Gen, Black)

Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet (7th Gen, Black)

Fire HD 8 Gen7 - Availability (New) 2017-2018 - Security Updates Guaranteed Through… 2022. Whoops :roll_eyes: . No wonder they’re so cheap. Looks like both the Fire 7 Gen7 and the Fire HD 10 Gen7 are at least guaranteed to receive security updates through (some time in?) 2023. But, for something that will be guaranteed to receive security updates beyond this year…

Fire HD 8 Gen8 - 2024
Fire HD 10 Gen9 - 2025

…and newer. Apparently, Amazon’s policy, in regards to their Fire brand tablets receiving security updates, is to guarantee them for four years beyond the last date that Amazon sells the things (new). Which makes it relatively simple to figure out.

This thing (Fire HD8 Gen7) might still be considered a reasonable value if a person is just going to throw media onto it, and keep its WiFi turned off, or only connect to a local device on one’s network, I suppose. But I’ll pass. I wanted to get the cheap, old Kindle that the person who told me about this Woot thing mentioned this morning - and also one for my mother, who is in her 80s and cannot seem to manage to use a “full” Android tablet or cell phone, but loves to read and can no longer hold a book for more than a couple minutes at a time (hands are more like crippled claws, due to a few issues). But, alas, I learned too late - those were showing “Sold Out” when I found them. :cry:

I ordered this (HD8) and received a Fire 7 instead :frowning: What now?

Hi there, if you haven’t already done so please reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

Please allow at least 24 hours for them to respond.

1 Like

Yes, I did reach out, haven’t heard anything yet…

I just got mine and when looking on Amazon for a case it keeps saying compatible with my HD Kids Tablet… what does that mean? No where on the package or purchase info does it say HD Kids Tablet, but it also did not come preloaded with Spotify and on initial startup took me to Amazon Kids something…. Weird? Also am I really not going to be able to just run Spotify at my shop because it’s old and might not update??? :grimacing:

It might be Amazon listing the device to your account that was setup in kids mode, as compatible. I think the 7th gen and 8th gen cases are intercompatible.

I think these have a kids mode and there is a special extra rugged case meant to be handled by the kiddos.

I got a refurb HD 8, 2018, and got a generic folio case from eBay.

During setup, I also was forced to first make a kids profile. You can go into the settings and delete the kids profile and go to a normal profile.

As for apps, the app will have to be in the Amazon app store to be installed.

With some finagling, you can get the Play Store on them. It requires you to go into the settings and enable installing apps from unknown sources, and then grabbing about 4 APK (app install files) and installing them in correct order.

I am a super skeptic and didn’t want to install random apps from the internet at first. Followed a guide from Android police, which seems to be a trusted, generally safe website that hosts APK files for various android apps. Either way, trust your own judgement and you can make that decision if you want to do it.

It worked for me, play store crashed a couple times while initially signing in, but eventually I downloaded old school RuneScape and it ran no problem. So now I use the tablet as a video player while cooking or in the kitchen, and it sits at my desk a lot as an AFK RuneScape playing thingy.

1 Like

So far I was able to download Spotify, which I kind of expected it to be there since it was part of the description, anyway, I’m going to have to figure another work around because I can’t get the app for my Ultimate Ears Bluetooth speakers… haha this was supposed to be an easy replacement for an old iPhone that has significant battery issues and a severely cracked screen. I’m still open to more suggestions and ideas.

I used this guide, just make sure to get the APKs for your model as well as installing the APKs in the correct order.

I absolutely had to get YouTube on mine :joy: I was baffled for a second then remembered YouTube is a Google subsidiary, ofc Amazon wouldn’t host it.

This is a short URL for easier access on the tablet. Or just Google the article:
bit.ly/apfiretablet