(NEW) ByronStatics 3-Speed Vinyl Record Turntable Player

(NEW) ByronStatics 3-Speed Vinyl Record Turntable Player

2 Likes

Yikes. If you like your records, keep them away from this thing.

3 Likes

Why???

2 Likes

Because it is more likely to damage or destroy your records than to play them. So, if you value your records…

3 Likes

Ohh, thanks for the heads up

4 Likes

So do you have personal experience with this item?

4 Likes

Not this specific device, but there are lots of these cheap “suitcase” record players that are indistinguishable and universally poor excuses for playing records. If you give it to the kids, and records get ruined, no harm no foul. But if you value the record and want to keep it long-term, keep in mind that damaged records can’t be fixed!

I can’t believe I’ve now had to say this three times. Personally I have records that are still playable and in excellent condition more than 50 years after they were made. None have ever been played on a device that costs less than the record itself. Simple.

2 Likes

The forums are for discussing the specific product. Maybe you can be more clear and specify what you mean by your wholesale condemnation in the future?

3 Likes

Well I guess I’ve been told.

Given the context of these forums, and that I originally posted because these devices are easy to lampoon, you’ve sure turned this into something else.

2 Likes

Not really, you have a program you’re following to admonish these types of products without actually owning said product.

Just making sure we’re all on the same page.

Thank you for your honesty.

I’m a little confused as to the vitriol here myself.

I have a pretty substantial record collection that ranges from original vinyl through modern pressings.

I’ve had a few inexpensive players like this one, though full disclosure not this specific one, and I’ve never had a problem playing the records without destroying them. The sound quality isn’t going to be as good as a more expensive and better player but for what I’m doing - playing records quietly in my office at work - it’s sufficient. A little care and cleaning goes a long way.

I’m not saying your experience or insight is invalid, I’m just sharing mine.

4 Likes

No vitriol stated or intended. Apparently an attempt at humor was badly misinterpreted.

2 Likes

Humor? You said:

That doesn’t sound like humor. You literally told people not to buy this because it will destroy your records.

2 Likes

Now hold up…

If it destroys my permanent record I may be interested…

3 Likes

I hate to be the one to break this to you… but… they lied to you. Your Permanent Record is a myth. It doesn’t exist. That was just a lie told to keep troublemakers like you and me in line as kids :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Oh, yes, that clearly worked.

At least that’s what they think. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A new record generally costs about $25-30, some a lot more. So pardon me if I don’t understand the logic for playing said record on a $20 device.

1 Like

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

99.9% of my records are originals from the 60s through the 80s. I have cheap turntables and I have high end turntables. I was also a technician for over 30 years who routinely worked on both ends of the turntable market. While, yes, some cheap turntables CAN ruin your records, that is not a fair generalization - especially if you do not have experience with this EXACT model.

It is true that cheap turntables are not going to sound as good as the high end equipment due to cheap components - motors that aren’t as solidly speed controlled as possible; rumble in the platter; belt drive versus direct drive; lower quality needles and styli… but none of that will DAMAGE a record.

What WILL damage a record is a tone arm / stylus / needle that is too heavy or a tracking force that is dragging, both of which is often adjustable even on low end units. I don’t know whether this particular one has that ability because I don’t own it, but even if it doesn’t, without measuring said parameters, you can’t say for certain whether or not that this one will damage anything.

3 Likes

It’d damage my wallet if I bought it. And probably my marriage for similar reasons. But hey, at least I could listen to my records!

2 Likes