Echo Auto (1st gen)

Echo Auto (1st gen)

6 Likes

“Echo Auto (1st gen) - Hands-free Alexa in your car with your phone”

Interesting Woot chose not to (edit typo) include “(NEW)” at the front of the produce title since Woot normally sells used Echo device trade-ins from mama Amazon.

6 Likes

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

6 Likes

Does this function without having the Alexa app open on the phone?

4 Likes

On my iPhone, the app is rarely ever open.

5 Likes

Once it is set up, it will automatically sync to your phone’s Alexa app. The only thing you will notice on your phone is a little notification that says something like “Alexa Ready to Drive” (or something like that.

For this price, I purchased it on impulse. I am happy I did. While I have CarPlay, I find the two play well and compliment with each other.

The supplied air vent mounting bracket was not exactly compatible with my vehicle. It dangled wires and the unit would fall off the mount when I accidentally hit the power cord. And, while the unit works with Bluetooth, I decided for no particular reason to connect the sound via the included 3.5mm cable into my car’s audio jack. I did that because I use Apple CarPlay in wireless mode so I didn’t want two items competing with Bluetooth. I think my audio output is a little cleaner using the aux cable. I could be wrong.

It takes a little getting used to. It seems a little slower to activate than Alexa on my Echo devices. But the more I practice with it, the more I can anticipate how to use it.

If you are on the fence about this, I recommend you give it a try – especially if you are a tech nerd like who who likes to tinker with stuff. CarPlay is fine but Alexa definitely expands your capabilities in the car.

10 Likes

In for one!

2 Likes

Does this require internet or hotspot or is it plug it just plug and go

2 Likes

It connects to your phone via Bluetooth, which assumes your phone has some way of connecting to the Internet. Cellular makes the most sense.

4 Likes

If you want a gadget on your dash that says “trying to connect” all the time when you are driving… get one!! We’ve never been able to get ours to work or connect to anything. We forget about it until it says “trying to connect” so I guess it’s good for an occasional laugh. Good luck if you buy one!

8 Likes

You’re doing something wrong then, or you have a faulty unit.

3 Likes

Think of it as a convenient remote microphone to pass commands to the Alexa app on your phone.

So, it relies on your phone to have a good, consistent connection to the internet. If your phone coverage is spotty or you have a low data plan, this isn’t for you.

3 Likes

While the problem was extremely common when the 1st Gen Echo Auto launched, updates seemed to help a lot. But that connection reliability still remains imperfect at times.

3 Likes

The 1st Gen Echo Auto potentially provides a lot more functionality than that. For older vehicles that lack Bluetooth, but do have a 3.5mm-1/8” audio input jack, this device adds Bluetooth, along with Alexa capability. (Yes there are also standalone auto Bluetooth adapters, from secondary brands.)

3 Likes

Wow, this $15 deal still up two months later. I think we paid $15 for our second backup unit, direct from mother Amazon a while back. Either mother Amazon still has a lot of these or they’re not big sellers or a combo of both.

Edit - just noticed, unlike as often the case, the warranty remains the original Amazon 1-year, rather than a neutered Woot 90-day warranty.

Been using one since it launched and it is far from perfect, but the car it is in does not have Bluetooth, so it stays installed, to provide that functionality.

I think the only time we actually give it Alexa commands, is when we forget to tell Alexa “I’m leaving” upon exiting our home, to initiate “Alexa Guard” mode back at home. And sometimes to read our “Shopping List” to us while driving so we’re not messing with our phones. We virtually never open the Alexa app in the car.

I should add - a frustrating and not super rare challenge. When using Waze nav + Pandora streaming music, if Waze interrupts with a voice alert, Pandora does not always automatically restart. However this might be Waze and Pandora not playing nice, perhaps nothing to do with Echo Auto.

For that second backup Echo Auto unit, I’m pondering using it to add Alexa at our rural off grid vacation property. The primary power we have there is solar 12 VDC and our internet is via phone hotspot, so it might be a good match. The key question? Why in the world do we want Alexa at our otherwise quiet, peaceful wooded property? :wink:

3 Likes

I considered buying one of these Echo Auto 1st gens to trade in for the Echo Auto 2nd gen for 25% off + the trade in gift card… since the 2nd Gen never seems to be discounted from its $55 price. However, ironically, the 1st gen Echo Auto is not eligible for trade in for a 2nd gen Echo Auto!?!

Looking at the reviews of the 2nd gen Echo Auto, it suffers from a nearly identical to 1st Gen, 1 & 2 star rating by 16% of reviewers, the death quell for a product.

4 Likes

My personal experience and we tried on multiple devices with the same result. From other comments I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like an uncommon occurrence.
Mr Bean Reaction GIF

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning the pandora issue. I assumed this was a CarPlay problem.

2 Likes

Are you kidding me! People need to be connected to Alexa while driving! The fewer distractions when driving the better.

1 Like

Have it. Works haphazardly at best. Don’t do it.

2 Likes