Why do some items have no Forum link? Do they fear our scrutiny?

e.g.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was curious about this one. It linked to an ‘event’ of one item. Was this an OEM copy, usable only on one CPU/hardware config and can never be moved to another PC or used if your PC upgrades? Is this by an authorized Microsoft seller? If not, then we run into the grey market most likely where keys can be found for $20 on key seller sites.

If this isn’t an OEM and IS from an authorized seller, then it might be a great deal. While I know 10 and 11 is bolstered by ads and stuff, if it’s not an OEM copy then it might be a good idea to grab one just to spin up Windows on a VM and not be forced to use evaluation copies or datacenter copies.

5 Likes

I think it may be due to the back and forth in previous forum links for previous sales of Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro. https://forums.woot.com/t/microsoft-windows-10-or-11-pro-your-choice/1299349

The biggest issue is that because the ones (at least all the ones that I’ve seen) that Woot sells are OEM keys. Meaning that if you buy it for a self-built computer it won’t transfer to a new motherboard when you decide to upgrade your build or you needed to replace the motherboard for some reason (like a warranty replacement, a non-warranty covered replacement or simply wanted a different motherboard that supports your existing CPU for whatever reason). If you buy a retail key, then you can bring that retail key when you decide to upgrade your build.

For instance, I was able to bring my retail key version of Windows with me when I upgraded my build from an Intel 8th gen system to an AMD 5000 series early last year. Wouldn’t be able to do that with the OEM key version that Woot sells because it would’ve locked to the old Intel 8th gen motherboard.

4 Likes

Maybe it is because the keys are SO MUCH CHEAPER here?

1 Like

Those aren’t legitimate keys. This article explains why you see so many cheap keys – they don’t work, or they don’t last:

As for threads not being created, that happens sometimes because of some sort of software glitch. There’s no conspiracy, it just happens sometimes. They have to be manually created by a staff member. ThunderThighs is on vacation right now and I’m not sure if @lioncow or @notmatty can create product threads.

(Please note: I don’t work for Woot, I just volunteer to help out here on the forums.)

5 Likes

Can you guarantee that woot’s are any more legitimate?

Are they sourced right from MS?

2 Likes

I think Woot’s keys are much more legitimate-adjacent than your sketchy site lol.

2 Likes

Exactly what @peaceetc said, it’s a glitch that just happens sometimes. I ended up creating the thread for this, let me know if there’s any other threads that you see missing. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Unsure if it was added after the fact, but both descriptions do mention that they are OEM.

1 Like

Help me out…

The product description states…

ATTENTION: Your redemption code will be delivered as tracking number within a few business days. You will receive your serial number(s) to authorize and register your product as your tracking number.

And…

You’ll receive a redemption code (serial number, a 25-character, alphanumeric serial number for each program) allowing you to instantly download the program for your desktop or laptop device. Requires a PC or laptop computer. Not compatible with iOS (iPad, iPhone), Android (tablets) or Chromebook devices. Internet connection required for online activation.

But the Shopping Cart page states…

Ships in 5 - 7 business days
Delivery May 30 - Jun 1

I’m confused :thinking:

1 Like

Unless woot! focuses on software support, I’d avoid these and just buy cheaper ones that also can’t be verified

1 Like

Hey, @WazbazTheWeary , you sound very weary… or is that leery.

see no evil soccer GIF by Red Bull

3 Likes

They’re just using boilerplate text for the sale. It’s probably a formatting thing or something. They don’t actually ship.

2 Likes

will you get the activation key right after the purchase? the announcement for the product says it takes a few days to arrive.

Not sure, it’ll come in an email but I don’t know if they’ll all go out together or as soon as the order goes through. Let’s ask @notmatty

3 Likes

Weary, leery, bleary, dreary; eerie theory dearie!

2 Likes

Prices that cheap definitely seem sketchy, but there’s plenty of well known sites with hundreds of keys around $25 USD. Now if you want to go through a more well known company, go ahead and use woot. But I bought my windows key on kinguin back in 2016 and have never had an issue. Also purchased one on g2a for my sisters build around 2018, never had an issue. Popular sellers on these sites will also usually replace a key if anything goes wrong.

(If I’m not allowed to mention other sites sorry, feel free to edit it out)

3 Likes

+1 i bought my W11 key for $20 and have never had a problem.

Ha ha, I didn’t pay for mine.

It’s a free upgrade from Microsoft

I’ll alert CS.

2 Likes