$100 Mystery Desktop

$100 Mystery Desktop

9 Likes

Its A Trap GIF

49 Likes

Choose your Mystery number :w_tongue: :laughing:

18 Likes

I’m just here to see this thread get burned to the ground.

33 Likes

This seems like a great deal, something I could set up cheaply for my parents who are using something clunky from 10 years ago. What am I missing?

21 Likes

Even though these are 6th gen Skylake …

8GB DDR3 RAM

Yes, there are some Dell models that still used DDR3 in 6th gen. As I recall, all HP in 6th gen uses faster DDR4 memory.

Still have a number of 2nd and 3rd gen at work, so these would actually be upgrades!

(Note that I am not staff. I just volunteer to help out on the forums.)

24 Likes

a mystery item where we tell you exactly what you’ll get? and yet there will still be people surprised and unhappy with it.

36 Likes

This chip is 7.5 years old. Technically still an upgrade but meh.

26 Likes

Well you miss knowing exactly what you’ll be getting. The price isn’t bad, though know that W10 ends support in 2025 and Windows 11 doesn’t officially support these older platforms.

28 Likes

Fair point, thanks. My dad just uses a web browser to surf eBay and Wikipedia so I was attracted to a simple/cheap upgrade to his 2012 dell latitude that was acquired from an office park dumpster.

24 Likes

I’d buy #4

18 Likes

What model? Some had socketed CPUs. The biggest anchor of the older laptops are the drive; swap in a SSD and it’ll still remain relevant for the time being.

18 Likes

Will this run Elden Rings?

16 Likes

Your choice for a dinosaur PC

Hunger Games Odds GIF

18 Likes

Windows 10 ends support in 2025?! What a rip

16 Likes

It’s cheap. And is missing a monitor. The last time I bought a Dell, I bought it from Dell Outlet, and everything inside the desktop (I mean EVERYTHING) had a green USED sticker on it. The HDD was 49% corrupted, I had to reinstall XP and update it every week. You read that correctly. And I bought it for work. Dell refused to take it back, even though I had a 30 day return window. 3 months after I received it, it but the dust, computer repair place said it was trash parts in a trash desktop shell. It was also FILTHY inside. Dust bunnies and nicotine smears all over the interior. Even had to replace the disc drive due to the stickiness being inside that. Gross. I will never buy a Dell, from Dell or anywhere that sells a Dell for any price. These things may be a fire hazard.

Proceed with extreme caution, keep all emails from the transaction and be sure to utilize the return policy if you need. You may need it.

18 Likes

Stop Warning GIF by Britannia

27 Likes

Windows 10 is nearly 8 years old already; the first release was in July 2015.

16 Likes

Dell listed at $89

HP listed at $131

18 Likes

Well, I bought a #2 and I’m hoping for 1000% crap.

25 Likes