18 Inch StaySharp Max Reel Mower

18 Inch StaySharp Max Reel Mower

Now to figure out how to tow a flying V formation of these behind the tractor.

I have this mower and have used it for about 4-5 years. This was my second reel mower and this one was much heavier and sturdier than my first. I have a fairly small yard and didn’t want to be bothered with caring for a gas-powered engine to cut it and if you are in a similar situation I think this mower is a good choice. It cuts great as long as you don’t let the grass get too high (which was good to keep me from putting off mowing the lawn). If you have any high weeds that pop up a reel mower will just run it over without cutting it so if your lawn is mostly weeds look elsewhere. I have never sharpened the blades as I probably should but have never noticed any real difference in how well it cuts. YMMV. Maintenance-wise I have had a cotter pin pop off and a bolt fall out (both on separate occasion when my son was mowing…he said he didn’t notice and we weren’t able to find them) but after emailing the manufacturer they mailed me out replacement parts for free. Overall I have been happy with it and if you are looking for a reel mower this is a good one.

these are great mowers. anything over a quarter acre is going to be a huge challenge. i have had one for 6 or 7 years. you will lose weight if you commit to this mower.

Love that the lawn in the video is full of dandelions and weeds as if to say “hey, you already don’t care about maintaining your lawn, this mower is for you”.

Can one of you who own this comment on the rolling and pushing effort. Clearly the walking is easy to assess. Do you feel like it rolls in front of you with little pushing effort, or it it a constant pushing effort even on level ground? Considering as a back up to gas mower, and of course the exercise benefit, but even a gas mower gives that since you walk with it. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

it is dependent on the grass. thick grass can take some extra effort. it’s on par with a push mower without self propulsion. its not hard, but you are not simply walking.

When I got a house, I had a smaller front lawn and thought this would be a great alternative. Mind you I don’t have perfect grass lawn, it was mostly weeds, but the price for this thing is outlandish in terms of its performance.

First like so many reviews say, if the grass gets long, it’s hard to cut plain and simple. Don’t be fooled by the engineering spec talk, and blah blah blah. It’s a push mower, and you’re going to be pushing.

And even if you’re good about maintaining, i rarely get to walk this thing. I usually either have to burst start, over feeding the system, then back track, and get momentum again (which is their selling point?). Even the manual asks that you don’t run with it, because you’ll want to to get that reel going.

Honest summary: it’s a nice push mower, but don’t be fooled into thinking that because of its price and specs, that you’re just gliding over your lawn.
Which I might be naive into thinking it would be, considering this is close to the price of a cordless electric.

1 Like

Thank you for the insights!

I’m “Reelly” gladden to have purchased this mower, and I have found its use truly effortless as my Wife mows the lawn … Now I just need to mount the ol’Mattel’s V-rroom on the mower so I can keep track of her properly …