2003 Oriel Soluna, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - 2 Pack

Hard to say - that’s a Carmenere, not a Cab Sauv. I’m guessing not very comparable.

Oh mudman, always master of the non-sequitur comparison.

Has anyone else noticed quite a few Oriel wines lately between wine.woot and and another “til sold out” wine site?

What are the drinking Oriel windows for these?

Clever lad, that richardhod.

For some reason, the windows look more interesting than the wine, at least at this time given the price point with virtually no useful information whatsoever and the whiff of negociant in the air.

Are these wines past their prime drinking window?

I got a few of these last time they were offered. I thought they were a little over ripe. Heavy alcohol taste. Most of the fruit had departed the scene. Too bad, I think they would have been good before they got tired.

I am always suspicious of older wines being sold at so-called ‘bargain prices’ with descriptions done 5 or more years ago on release. Usually means that the forecast of cellerability was ‘highly optimistic’. I would guess they are already ‘over-cellered’.

But really, who knows? Maybe they are in their ‘dumb period’, and 10 years from now songs will be sung in their honor and bottles will be traded even-up for steamer trunks full of gold bars.

It sure sounds like it. It also sounds like they are past their secondary and tertiary drinking windows, as well.

I’m kinda glad. I keep hoping for a Black Tie Buy that everyone says “MUST GET” but at the same time my bank account is glad that this isn’t one.

I do remember the ZIn that was previously offered. Dont remember too much talk, so dunno if this would be worth it. IMO

Sorry all. The ones I got before were the Zinfandel. Cabs tend to store better than Zins, so maybe these would be fine. My wine fridge is full and I have 6 bottles on the way so I’m out.

lulz…

Kind of my feeling as well. Some winery participation would really help here. This may have been worth it on release but 8 year old Cab from unnamed vineyards and unnamed winemakers at $30+ needs a selling point.

It does mention “St. Helena vineyard” which almost certainly puts me out. I’m more interested I think from Rutherford on down southward. Or mountains.

That doesnt say alot…Im sure Usher knows his wine.

Ya’ mean he didn’t sing “Pop Ya Cellar”? :wink:

This is 100% Cab. Does that have a bearing on it’s cellarability? X

I hate to be the naysayer, but this “Oriel” appears to be an operation that’s buying sourced fruit. Not that there’s anything wrong with that - just not my cup of tea at this price point.

I hear you, but I would point out that loads of vineyards buy sourced fruit. What makes for a negociant is they don’t produce even a portion of what they use. But negociants can buy grapes, barrels, or bottled wine, and obviously their degree of participation in the winemaking process varies greatly depending on which.

Just a quick browse finds this:

Not sure about this source, but it does say “Best 2006-2010” and “Maturity: Drink”

Not sure this one’s got the legs for cellaring.