2005 Havens Merlot Napa Valley - Four Pack

A little off topic, but I just polished off a bottle of Martella 2008 Fiddletown Zinfandel. Martella is the winemaker behind the SF bay area’s Thomas Fogarty Winery. I highly recommend this wine. Very fiery, spicy, and warm. Surprisingly, even though only 300 cases were made, it’s available at bevmo, at least in the area.

As for the Havens… having bought the last four in a row… I can’t really bring myself to buy another.

Here’s a video review of the 05! These guys are selling it for more, so sounds like a deal anyway. He describes the wine as he tastes it, even if he’s trying to sell it from his own stock, so it’s at least diverting and informative!

Wine.com has rviews from the Wine Advocate and International Wine Cellar, plus makers’ notes: Havens Merlot 2005 | Wine.com. Also included are some ratings, from 90-92!

Edit: While I’m at it, Snooth has a bunch of reviews, and lowest price there $18+: http://www.snooth.com/wine/havens-napa-merlot-rated-89-2005/ Includes this from Robert Parker: “Longer and richer than its predecessor, the 2005 Merlot Napa exhibits aromas of chocolate, berry fruit, underbrush, and spice box.” (12/07)

No entry in Hugh Johnson for 05 in CA. Anyone any idea of the weather etc conditions compared with 2006?

Yet this guy didn’t like it:

The birthday code is from the first anniversary of your first purchase from wine.woot. I had to write and get mine.

The 06 that the link he provided refers to is for the reserve Merlot, which is not the same wine that was offered by Woot last Monday.

Will be very interested to try this one, and am in for two.

RE: Birthday Coupons, my first wine woot was on 8/25/08 and I’ve never received a coupon.

Where’s the love, WD?

I’m not a huge red wine fan. Is white wine ever offered on wine.woot?

In for 1.

My wine woot b-day was 11/09, no coupon for me either. :frowning:

The wife and I enjoy a good merlot, but haven’t had one in a while, so at this price and given the reviews decided to give it a try. In for 1.

Yes, they do and I’ll bet there will be some soon. The Firestone Chard has really been enjoyed at our house.

I’m a sucker, went for 2.

Gotta fill the wine racks up!

Bought one at Costco last week. Barely drinkable. Bitter in the back, unrefined. Not sure where they are getting the Bordeaux style from. Even at $10 a bottle I would recommend to pass.

Any way to combine shipping on these with the Monday deal if we order both? I imagine they’re coming from the same place. Happy holidays everyone!

For all the questions I see regarding birthday coupons, maybe it should be added to the FAQ?
I get mine the month of the anniversary of when I created the Woot account, not when I made first purchase or wine.woot purchase.

Found this page with announcement from woot staff:

Which also says you have to be 21 at the time of your anniversary

Where’s the CostCo you bought this from?

Thanks for the link, rabbitjr! I had the newsletter box unchecked in My Account so probably missed out because of that. 2 year woot birthday coming up soon though!

Indeed. Just to be ultraclear, your birthday is your wootiversary (*.woot registration), not your first wine.woot purchase. The coupon code is only valid for wine.woot, though.

I am on my last bottle of the Firestone Chard. I wonder if they will offer it again soon. I am not normally a Chard drinker, but I have really enjoyed it, even moreso when I run it through the vinturi.

I am still debating this Merlot, however.

Yep, that’s me. I wouldn’t say disliked. I think I gave it a low 80’s score. For me that means OK. Most people seem to give 90 for OK, 95+ for pretty good. I try to use the full scale, not just 89 to 100!

The bottle I tasted had a bit much barnyard Brett funk even for me and didn’t have any finish. But I liked the rustic style, just not the execution. Just for reference, I bought this from K&L wines, a reputable California retailer, though perhaps the bottle was treated poorly by a distributor. More in my next post . . . .

I’m in for one. This was my last opportunity to use my Woot B’day discount. I was holding out and hoping for some Tytanium… oh well.