2006 Buttonwood Farm Cabernet Franc - 3 Pack

2006 Buttonwood Farm Cabernet Franc - 3 Pack
$39.99 + $7.00 shipping
Condition: Red
Product: 3 2006 Buttonwood Farm Cabernet Franc
CT link above

Winery website

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create one now! Right now! Don’t just sit there!

In for 1. I heart cab franc :slight_smile:

Does anyone know the percentage breakdown?

No mention of it in the description or on the website.

Would love to rat if possible.

thanks woot, cab franc and a bag with lights to boot… a solid 6th b day if i do say so myself…

Looks like a small batch wine. Barely even taste it in the tasting room. Might have to go in for one of these!
Here is the tasting notes:
The deep, dark maroon color of this wine is astounding.  A bouquet of mocha and violets mingles with plum and hints of raspberry. A smooth texture with subtle dusty tannins play with dried blueberry, currant and earthy flavors layered with spice.  The experience resolves with sweet oak vanillin and lingering chocolate covered cherry notes.  Cabernet Franc is a food friendly wine that will continue to improve with cellaring for the next 5 to 7 years.  Pair it with grilled food such as pork ribs rubbed with sea salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and smoked paprika.

Wine description from the website:

2007 Buttonwood Cabernet Franc $22.00 Gold Medal
The southeastern corner of the vineyard is home to our 3.41 acres of Cabernet Franc. The land in this corner dips into a swale that heads down into a canyon and puts Cabernet Franc at risk for frost both in the spring and fall. Despite its location, Franc grows well in our vineyard producing wines with flavors of spice and bright red fruit and aromas of violets and forest floor. This first “grape to glass” release of Cabernet Franc from our winemaking team is a barrel selection of the best in the cellar.
The Vintage
2007 is being hailed as “the vintage of the decade” and indeed it was a peaceful, even and picture perfect growing season. A cold winter delayed bud break and flowering a few weeks, alleviating the threat of frost to young shoots. The moderate temperatures throughout the summer provided extended time on the vines, producing grapes of superb concentration and intensity as well as lively acidity. We harvested the 2007 Cabernet Franc on Halloween - definitely a treat!
Winemaking
After an early morning harvest, the grapes were de-stemmedand allowed a few days of cold soaking prior to inoculation with GRE yeast. This process extracts color, spicy flavor and tannins from the skins before fermentation, which occurred over a three week period. Before Thanksgiving, the free run wine was moved into barrel and the skins pressed to tank before barreling. We used 20% new French Oak, mostly from the Belair cooperage. In December 2008, we tasted each barrel, selecting the most outstanding which were then racked off their lees and returned to barrel. In June of 2009, each was tasted again, with twelve barrels chosen for this bottling. This selection was blended and put back in barrel to “marry” flavors until November of 2009. It was lightly filtered before bottling on December 17, 2009.
Tasting Notes
The deep, dark maroon color of this wine is astounding. A bouquet of mocha and violets mingles with plum and hints of raspberry. A smooth texture with subtle dusty tannins play with dried blueberry, currant and earthy flavors layered with spice. The experience resolves with sweet oak vanillin and lingering chocolate covered cherry notes. Cabernet Franc is a food friendly wine that will continue to improve with cellaring for the next 5 to 7 years. Pair it with grilled food such as pork ribs rubbed with sea salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and smoked paprika.

261 cases produced.

I didn’t realize I shared my birthday with woot! Buying myself this wine and (hopefully) my first BOC as a present to both of us, woot. Happy birthday!

I know I’ve been off board for quite a while…mea culpa. Absolutely cannot pass this one up though. I think I’m in for 2 but the order status page cannot seem to get past the revolving exclamation mark

You’re likely in for 2. Mine took 15+ minutes to confirm

Description says 100% Cab Franc.

Definitely like this producer–I tasted my first Cab Franc at Buttonwood, actually, and was in their wine club for a while. I’ve tasted a whole lot of their Cab Francs from 2001 to 2004 and the 2007. Maybe I’ve even tried the 2006, but I don’t have a tasting note on it.

Buttonwood’s winemaker changed in 2007, IIRC, but before that they had a sort of house style. Their wines tend to have a bit of a rustic, old world edge to them with some funk and pepper/tobacco, plus they tend to be fairly tannic with lively acidity and not very oaky. Still CA wines at heart, just different than the soft, fruity varieties. Given that this wine sort of covers two winemaker’s ‘regimes’, it may be sort of a crossover from one house style to a different style.

OK…I’m a little confused (fairly common occurrence). The winery website says 2007 was the first “grape to glass” release of Cabernet Franc from our winemaking team.

Website describes 2007 CF

Is the Woot offering a 2007 or 2006?

2006 Buttonwood Farm Cabernet Franc:

*  Appellation:  Santa Ynez Valley – Estate Bottled, Buttonwood Farm Vineyard
* Harvest:  November 3, 2006
* Bottling Date:  August 28, 2008
* Release Date:  February 1, 2010

so your saying…

Do these wines have synthetic closures or real corks?

Actually the main reason I dropped their wine club was the synthetic corks. Too many of the library wines were tired due to the poor seal of the rubber corks. For near term consumption I’m not concerned about synthetic vs. real–in fact synthetic gets the edge due to no TCA risk. But it’s useful to know if you want to lay these down.

1. In 2007 Buttonwood hired a new winemaker, so that was the first vintage she produced from harvest to bottle. Buttonwood has been making Cab Franc for quite a while before that.

mgdsh was asking about the percentage breakdown of the wine…it is 100% cab franc. :slight_smile:

Thanks. So how does the '06 compare to the '07?

I don’t have any notes on the 2006, unfortunately. I may have tasted it, though probably not. I found the 2007 more fruit-forward than older vintages, but still fairly tannic about a month ago. Not sure if you can extrapolate much from this w/ respect to the 2006 vintage.