2008 Tetra Napa Valley Red Wine - 2 Pack

No. At $55/bottle, not even close.

No CT notes on the '08 vintage. One positive review of the '06 and one negative review of the '07.

This is the opposite of the industry reviews I found; Wine Enthusiast scores the '06 at 85 pts. calling it a “good wine for everyday fare” (sure, if your everyday fare also includes filet mignon and caviar!)

Robert Parker gave the '07 a rating of 94, saying “The 2007 is stunning, opaque purple-colored, with plenty of crème de cassis, creosote, camphor, incense, subtle oak, licorice and oodles of black fruits, the wine has superb purity, full bodied texture, beautiful richness and depth, and a finish that goes on for least 40+ seconds. This blend of 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and the rest Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot should age nicely.”

Note that the '08 has only 49% Cab Sauv and a greatly increased percentage of Petite Verdot (with a little extra shot of Merlot), compared to the '07 vintage.

EDIT: As per the Vintner’s Voicemail, the '08 did receive a score of 94 from Wine Enthusiast magazine.

Pulled out my copy and here’s what it says; “Very delicious and luscious, but no mere fruit bomb. It has the tannic-acidic structure and dryness to make it refined, but explodes on the palate with blackberry, chocolate, cassis, anise and sweet, smoky cedar flavors that are deep and long. Tastes important and first rate.”

I was thinking that this would be an easy “pass” for me when I first saw it, based on the price and the fact that I have 3 orders in the pipeline already (and have received 4 others within the last 2 weeks) but now I am having second thoughts. Guess I’ll sleep on it…

Yep - and in addition to the fact that vintage can play a big role in how well a wine ages, the winemaker’s voice mail said the blend is different every year.

Oh Boy!

In for 3!!!

10.99 for two!!!

Oh…wait…

nevermind.

Wish I couldda been a rat for this one!

But nooooooo…

Will we be getting an appearance from xpinotguy today?

I first tasted this wine when I visited Tetra/Expression’s tasting room in January of this year and I was very pleased with the service as well as the wines offered. The Tetra wine was young and obviously needed some aeration time when we tasted, it was quite tight. However it being tight, I could still taste quite a bit of complexity and balance; it felt like it was more in a dumb phase I guess. It was a very delicious wine, but at the time the price was $80/bottle (iirc) which was just a bit more that I was willing to pay at the time.

Since then, Tetra was offered either here at woot or lot18 and I purchased 2 bottles at a discounted price. I have yet to open these as I fear infanticide and feel that these deserve at least a good 5 years before opening the first one.

I would be in on this one if money was so uncertain for me at this point.

LMAO

Just to be sure… we’ll be getting two FULL bottles, right?

For the winery, the standard questions, particularly for an offer that hints at some significant aging potential:

TA, pH, & recommended cellaring window please

And he has an awesome wine collection. (I almost said cellar but if he is in Florida I doubt if he has a cellar)

I told you I like Napa and Sonoma reds. So you send me that Panther Piss from Argentina to be a Wine Rat for. Well I ate the cheese now hows about a “GOOD” wine to wash the poison down for my birthday?

The 06 and 07 are now selling for $110 each on the Tetra website. The 08 was originally selling for $80 and is now $65 on the Tetra website…$55 on woot. What does this price differential tell you about this 08 vintage?..Hmmm!!..Dumping the juice??..I would JUMP on either the 06 or 07 at this woot price and would be in for 3…PASS!!!

At 15% discount this is not a deal worthy of Woot.

I think Woot’s purchasing department is on strike or got a strike, to the head…

Interesting. I wasn’t aware graphite had much of an aroma.

Ah yes. Pinot Meunier. I suppose that just goes to show how much I have yet to learn about such things.

Thanks for the reply!

What I want to know is who in the H-E-double hockey sticks dropped a cork in a glass of $55/bottle wine?

EGADS!

Big day, 2 deliveries from the last wine woot on schedule;
the Random 12 pac from Truchard & Arbios Cellers Alex Vally 3 pack. Yahoo !!!

Twice as many cases made in 2008 than 2006. Higher volume, lower price? I too think the woot discount today is pretty weak from the $65 on the website. But here’s a chance to try just two bottles instead of 6 you’d have to get from the winery. Maybe 08 was not as good as 06 or 07 but maybe its not worse by half?

Per Tetra website…
Get your allocation.
2006 - Only 298 cases made.

2007 - Only 400 cases made.

2008 - Only 600 cases made. (not yet released)

2009, 2010 - Aging nicely in French Oak…

As quantities are highly limited, we offer Tetra by allocation only to members of our Tetra List. The minimum allocation size is 6-750ml bottles. Maximum size allowed is one case. (12-750ml bottles)

Cost per 6-pack: $660 + shipping
Cost per case: $1320 + shipping

Only 20 states and the District of Corruption…

LAME!

B.S.!

WTF!

Just wanted to see what the woot interpretations for my vulgar thesauras…

They missed one…LOL!

I ordered one two pack from last February (the 06 and 07), which I think sold for $129. I opened the 06, which was silky smooth. Reminded me of the 06 Blue Rock that was also offered at about the same time. I am cellaring the 07 for several more years. Given that in general, the 08 Napa vintage is almost as good as the 07, I am leaning toward clicking on the big yellow button.

Good QPR is Good QPR no matter the price. Wooters! do clean up very well, I’ve seen many of you this year!

http://www.woot.com/Images/MonkeyHat.png