2009 Denier Handal Vineyard, Alexander Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack Winemaker,Peter Wellington

Peter,

LOVED your 2006 Meeks Hilltop Zin from the somewhat recent mixed case (2/21/11). How does this one compare?

(I will be swinging by the FED-Ex office store later today to pick up my '06 Victory from the woot off. Whoopee!)

Thanks again for all of the input.

Blasted… No NH?!

Move dude! The wineries are sending you a message… Pretty nasty too.

Or maybe you can get woot to back a
Woot With Me! t-shirt campaign.

Seriously not surprised in this case as the winery doesn’t even have a website so they sure aren’t going to cough for the NH filing costs.

Different region, vineyard, blend and year. As far as similarities, they both have “moderate” alcohol levels (for Zinfandel), subtle usage of oak, good balance and finesse. I don’t like (and Dick Handal didn’t want) big, high alcohol, sweet, oaky, in-your-face Zinfandel. There’s lots of berry and spice in a rich, smooth wine that’s not over the top.

edit: I guess the w00t filters don’t approve of Senor Handal’s first name.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine . . . unless of course, it’s all you’ve got!

Peter,
Any idea what these would retail for?

Good morning. This is Dick Handal writing from the vineyard. It’s a somewhat cool but beautiful morning. The canes are approaching a meter long and the vines are starting to bloom. Now all we need is heat for a good fruit set. If you have any questions about the wine or the farming feel free to ask.

One final note… Hey, I worked hard on the Vintners Voicemail and no one comments!!!

Thanks for your interest and support. Enjoy the wine

That’s a question for the scholar and gentleman whose wine it is, Senor Boghog.

You may have been too thorough! :slight_smile:

I want to go check out the vineyard now Senor Boghog! You’ve grown grapes in exotic regions. What grape varietals grow in Ecuador?

OFF TOPIC -

I’m a current and lifelong Joplin, MO resident. By sheer chance my family and I were spared although both mine and my mother’s homes were destroyed. Please put our little town in your thoughts as we try to rebuild…it is truly unimaginable here.

If you’re in the area, the Blood Center of the Ozarks needs Type O Neg, and all residents need food, blankets, water, and hygene kits.

Thanks

Since we are on the Equator at 8200’ altitude the weather is always the same with cool nights and Springtime temperatures all day. Daylight hours are also the same every day of the year. So we don’t have the luxury of sunlight until 9PM as we do here in California. We had absolutely no idea what grapes would prosper when we plantd the vineyard. We planted 32 vinifera varieties collected from the Texas, California and Chile as well as one we found growing in Quito. After years of work we’ve found that Pinot Noir, Barbera, Sangiovese, Mourvedre, Viognier, Chardonnay and Palomino are the ones that do the best. The Bordeaux varieties and Zinfandel do not do well at all.

Well I greatly appreciate when a vintner takes time to communicate with us, and I enjoyed your voicemail greatly. However, it was so thorough that there was no clarification/new questions needed. We all appreciate when the winery gets involved, so don’t fret!

tempted, i have alot of zins already but they are all big alcohol type zins. i also love wellington and would liek to try his take on zin.

FWIW, last time a bought a wine made from superior grapes made by a known winemaker for another winery, it was an Astrale e Terra made by Scott Harvey, and it was sublime. Based on that, and my immense respect for PW’s winemaking skills and style, not to mention my love for Zinfandel, I’m finding my SIWBM starting to crumble (again!). WD, you’re killing me.

Hola, Señor Boghog here: Our SRP (suggested retail price) is $34.99 and we are just beginning distribution which will be limited due to our small production.

Prayers coming your way. Along with TtheC’s family who also live in the area, but think their home was spared.

If I didn’t have eight bottles of Hendry Napa Zin and four Scott Harvey 2007 InZINerator Magnums enroute, in addition to ten bottles already in the cellar, I’d be all over this, but I’m Zin’d out at the moment :slight_smile:

I agree, especially considering if your patient, for not much more then the additional cost of a venti frappuccino you could get a mixed case that wasn’t such a craps shoot.

I know it’s a totally subjective question, but you do you like the Cameron Hughes wines?

I remember seeing his “lot” wines in Costco some years ago and there was chatter that some of the wines were $100/bottle juice with a “CH” label, and people would slueth out the original winery where the juice was sourced.

I bought a mixed case of CH over the weekend from a special (that was effectively the same cost as the JK), so it’ll be interesting to test them out, it can’t be any worse then the JanKis right? :slight_smile:

I wonder if ‘BigBearBoarder’ is taken as a Woot ID…