HP ProBook x360 11.6" Business Convertible

HP ProBook x360 11.6" Business Convertible

imho too may bullets to dodge with this one:
1366x768
4GB on-board eMMC models not upgradable according to crucial
64GB eMMC (M.2 SATA at least)
Intel Celeron N3350 (at least something 2x as fast)

I can live with 4GB of DDR3 RAM on this type of a platform because it lacks the processing power for any more. The 1366x768 is old crappy resolution, but the display is only 11.6" so that even gets a pass (barely). The 2 biggest issues I have is the Celeron N3350 (basically an atom processor) with a passmark of 1112 and you combine that with eMMC memory (which is basically SD card memory) and that creates your bottleneck.

Not sure "Pro"Book is what I’d call this. Price is good for a convertible I guess but the rest is lackluster.

This would be good as a first laptop for a child.
The biggest drawback I see is the Hard Drive. It’s solid state but the 64 GB makes it little better than your older iPhone.
I feel like this is a tablet with an optional keyboard.

I wouldn’t buy this as a workbook or to do business, but it would be great for the person just using it to surf the internet, use email, or play app games.
Either a beginner laptop for a child or someone older that wants to stay connected and isn’t looking to brag about benchmarks.

I always start with the processor and with that kind of score, that is a non-starter…And in many cases, it might actually be a “non-starter”. :crazy_face:

It’s not about bragging about benchmarks. I have a windows tablet with a X5-Z8300 that actually benchmarks higher than this processor, also with eMMC storage. Just surfing and YouTube videos take it a while load pages- it’s frustrating. Giving it to a child is even worst because they have less patience. For $300 it’s too expensive when you can go to Ebay and buy HP Pro X2 410 G1 11.6" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Tablet i3-4012y 4GB 64GB SSD Win 10 for about $130 ($110 + 19.97 shipping). That’s a much better processor that benchmarks twice as fast and uses M.2 memory instead of eMMC. You take a chance with Ebay, but at the same time it’s less than 1/2 the price with twice the performance if you don’t mind something used.

I have an older Lenovo Thinkpad 11E (which I bought from Woot years ago) with a much older Celeron CPU than this ProBook has. I use the it for Web Browsing, Email (Outlook) and watching Netflix/Prime and it works at the exact same speed as my I7 work notebook for those three tasks. Now I’m sure if you tried gaming or trying to run several programs at once, it’ll slow down considerably. But this notebook is built for browsing, streaming, and Email which is also why the storage is really a non factor. My older ThinkPad 11E has 128GB SSD and I haven’t used 40GB yet in 3yrs and I use it every day. My daughter also has one and she uses it to watch YouTube Kid videos and Play ABC Mouse. If you are looking for a solid notebook (not a cheap plastic toy) that you just want to use for streaming, browsing, and do Email, this is a solid deal.

The 1st gen Lenovo thinkpad 11e had a celeron N2940. That chip has a passmark of 1734, so it benchmarks 56% faster than today’s CPU. In addition the thinkpads aren’t using eMMC they are using better M.2 memory. Even though you only “used” 40 GB in actuality having all that free space helps performance because your virtual memory has more space to work in addition the wear leveling that needs to occur with SSD (and eMMC) requires free space to move files around. As a solid state drive gets closer to capacity performance diminishes. So don’t assume because this is newer that it’s better than what you have.

Actually my 11E is an N2920 with a Passmark score of 1515. Again, if all you are doing is browsing, streaming, and Email, it’s more than enough. It boots up faster than my work laptop w/ I7 & HDD too. Most current Chromebooks run this same CPU. The mothership is selling the current HP X360 Chromebooks w/ 32GB for $299. I’d rather go Windows Pro and 64GB for the same price over Chrome any day. This is a solid deal if what you are looking for is a rugged laptop for streaming and browsing and games for little kids (like ABC Mouse). Great deal for parents looking for a rugged notebook for their younger kids. Not at all if you are a business user or gamer.