HP OMEN 17" Intel i7, RX580 8GB Laptop

HP OMEN 17" Intel i7, RX580 8GB Laptop

Best Buy had thing brand new for $1000 over the summer. I purchased this from Woot and it failed in the first day and then completely failed to be unbootable by day 3. Returned to Woot with no issues and purchased from Best Buy brand new rather than this Refurb. Long story short, Best Buy came with a much better charging brick and most of what you read online blames the power brick for the laptops failures.

Runs fortnite well. Runs Ark well. Never had any laggy issues. It’s heavy, so it’s more of a desktop replacement than a laptop. I personally have it hooked up to a 1440p/144hz monitor that I use for other things.

4 total USB ports is a real bummer. Only a mic in and headset out port. Really could have benefited from better port options.

I think this is a better laptop for $800 Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571-77QK 15.6" Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop (Manufacturer Recertified)

Just FYI regarding this HP Omen 17"- it may or may not have a compatible freesync display. At this price point it would be a great bonus, but not a reason to reject the offer since this price range doesn’t normally have that feature. These laptops were made with 2 different panels and only one of those panels is freesync capable. This is a decent deal if you want a 17" gaming laptop with a decent video card. The issues I have with this model are: 1) why design a high performance computer and stick a spinning HDD in it- even a small capacity M.2 SSD would be preferred with an empty bay to add further storage 2) 12GB DDR is just plain silly would the cost have been that prohibitive to make this a 16GB machine (HP engineering) 3) the RX480 is a good videocard that is also VR capable. In performance it’s similar to the GTX 1060- but I worry about the thermals (AMD stuff tend to run a bit hotter than Nvidia in comparable cards). If this HP has a well designed cooling system, then you should be fine, otherwise as the temp increases the GPU will throttle, and your gaming performance could take a significant hit.

1 Like

@gak0090 HP Specs don’t mention FreeSync on this model. It’s also an RX580 not an RX480, which more closely compares to a GTX 1070.

Thank you!

I did misprint- it is the RX580, but the RX580 is on par with the GTX 1060 not the GTX 1070. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Laptop) vs AMD Radeon RX 580 (Laptop)

Incorrect, the Rx580 surpasses the 1060 but the 1070 surpasses the RX580. The 1060 can be found on cheaper and more expensive laptops but each will perform at lower frame rates in comparison the rx580 wins everywhere it matters.

BestBuy had this laptop brand new for $999 often. Theirs comes with the updated power brick. The one I got from Woot arrived with failed hardware and was returned easily. BestBuy was the better buy due to the updated parts and newer SKU plus it wasn’t refurbished which has gotten me snagged often on Woot.

Helios is a 15" monitor, this is a 17" monitor. This wins.
Helios is a gtx1070, this is an rx580. This wins.
Helios has 16GB DDR4 this has 12GB DDR4. This loses.

People who are buying this would probably be comparing it closely to the Helios. Member is a cheap upgrade but I wouldn’t pay this price for a 1060 in 15" when you can get a 1070 with better specs for not much more. The Rx580 is the choice I’d make unless you’re gonna go 1070.

You ARE incorrect. The rx580 does NOT surpass the GTX 1060, in fact the average gaming performance of the laptop rx580 is about 8% less than the laptop GTX 1060 - I’ll put the link in again in case you missed it on the previous post. Scroll to the bottom where they give you the cumulative results of everything they ran.

Average Gaming NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Laptop) → 100%

Average Gaming AMD Radeon RX 580 (Laptop) → 92%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Laptop) vs AMD Radeon RX 580 (Laptop)

The RX580 is fine but a GTX 1060 is better in a laptop for gaming performance, power consumption and thermals. In a desktop the cheaper RX580 could make it the better choice, because the gaming performance is close enough to the 1060, the thermals and power consumption aren’t nearly as critical in a desktop and the desktop RX580 you can find for about $50 less than the GTX 1060 6GB

Actually I ended up getting the HP OMEN 17-W295MS for $990 (via woot returned merchandise deal)
17.3" 120Hz gsync panel, GTX 1070, 256gb NVMe, 16GB RAM, 230 watt power supply, Intel Core i7-7700HQ