Centon 1TB SATA III 2.5" SSD

Centon 1TB SATA III 2.5" SSD

Intriguing, but I am not familiar with this brand at all so kinda iffy on it.

They’ve been around for a long time, but this is the first SSD I’ve seen from them. The Amazonians do not appear to be impressed with earlier offerings.

1 Like

Sure enough, seems like the 512GB version of this drive dies 6 months to a year after install. Nope. Nope nope nope.

1 Like

Amazon users gave Centon 120-480GB SSDs only 2.6 stars in 15 reviews. Users said Centon SSDs lasted 1-7 months before they died.
https://www.amazon.com/Centon-Electronics-Direct-2-5-Inch-480GB25S3VVS1/dp/B00U18UYSY/

2 Likes

Name brand 1TB SSDs from Crucial, Samsung, SanDisk, and WD are selling for $150. They can last 3-5 years, so average cost is $30-50 per year.

Why risk your valuable data on a cheap 1TB SSD other users said last 1-12 months? $100 for 6 months means average cost is $200 per year.

That’s not counting your time (labor cost) to install the SSD, OS, and Programs. Plus the constant hassle to backup your data every month.

I took the risk on a cheap SSD once. It died in 6 months. Tried 2 data recovery services. Goodbye family photos and tax returns.

1 Like

Tempting, but I would need to know what the limited warranty is going to cover in about 3 or 4 years. I don’t want to be stuck with a 25 dollar gift certificate and without a computer for a few days just because the thing died on me. At ~100 with tax, it is just too high of a risk. At 75 with tax and shipping, I would have gotten one.

Well at least you were able to restore your photos and tax documents from backups!

Guys, there are no reviews of this specific model. SSDs within a given model line can have variable components. You’d kind of be taking a risk with a drive like this, but reviews of other drives don’t necessarily apply to this one. The Centon C-380 480 GB was re-branded as the Inland Professional 480 GB from MicroCenter, and it got good reviews (before they switched to a completely different SSD,) so this is basically just a brand-new (to us) SSD to which you can’t really have any expectations, good or bad. If you want to give it a shot, buy with a CC that gives you some purchase protection.

With 2/3 of the Amazon reviews offering one-star rating, this brand is a hard pass. Unreliable storage is worth less than zero.