4' 250 Watt Equivalent LED Shop Light

I strongly encourage you to do some research on quality before you make your decision.

EnergeticRob,

Are these able to be hardwired to replace an existing fixture that is controlled by an in-wall switch?

Thanks!

General talk…Any light bulb incandescent,CFL,LED,fluorescent will virtually last forever if were not for the turning on and off sequence. Moral?..Turn them on and leave them on for extended periods of time to get best efficiency and longevity.

Is this light surface mountable? What about the Costco option?

Thanks.

Description says 48W

It is not intended for hard wiring, but it can be controlled by an in-wall switch. I recommend installing an outlet in that location, then using the plug.

Some LED bulbs generate an RF signal that can interfere with garage door openers. Are the transformers on this fixture shielded to prevent that?

In terms of wattage equivalence, we use that to let customers know the equivalent light output. Because LED lights use much less wattage, it helps customers understand what LED lights will replace current (non LED) lighting.

To be honest, I’m not sure. I have never heard of any issues with these fixtures and garage door openers.

I purchased that 3700 lumens light from Costco (found them in-store, they cost more online) last week for $32 (I am located in the Los Angeles area). It was double the lumens that I could find from Home Depot at about 1/3 the price for an LED strip (the best at Home was about 1700 lumens). At first I was not interested because it was called a “shop light” and I wanted it for my kitchen (under cabinets). But then I noticed it was only 1.65” deep and it was flush mountable.

Long story short, IT IS FANTASTIC! Very bright (white light 4100 K) and I actually does not look too bad after flush mounting it under my cabinets. Now I am trying to figure out how to install some of them in my living room. I have not noticed any RF interference like some smaller bulbs gave me (had TV interference).

It does not have a on/off switch so I purchased this: Switch

A traditional 4’ strip light uses two 32W T8 lamps and requires about 58W (assumed 0.88 ballast factor). A single 32W T8 lamp produces between 2800-3200 lumens.

To make those lights more energy efficient and keep them small, the manufacturers use what is called a “switched-mode power supply” that produce a high-frequency signal to drive the LED. That signal should be filtered, and the circuit properly shielded, but on some of the cheaper products it is not done. Apparently, some of the floodlight-type LED lights can emit a very powerful RFI.

Hey my job is to work with LEDs! They are pretty great with some caveats:

1. They require a higher upfront investment but then cost waaaaay less in energy usage. In a five year period, would you rather spend $10 upfront and pay 25 cents per month, or spend $1 upfront and pay $1 per month?
  2. There are a lot of bad products on the market. Look for an Energy Star certification, because this means that the bulb or fixture has been tested for performance.
  3. Sometimes the electronics die unexpectedly, although good products have a 3+ year warranty. Check the warranty before buying!
  4. People can get touchy about light colors, so try to figure out your preferred color before spending $100s. You like orangish light like incandescents? Try 2700K or 3000K. You like bluish, more natural light? Try 5000K. 4000K is fairly neutral “white” light.

Often you can get rebates through your local utility if you buy a qualified LED, which helps bring the upfront cost down. The market is progressing very rapidly, so try to buy a product that has been released in the last year or so - longer than that and there’s probably something better (and cheaper!) on the market.

I would agree with you for the most part – I have several of the Costco units – but not everybody is a member, and this is more expensive, but not a lot more. I really do like the Feit unit; if these are similar, and you don’t want to – or can’t – sign up with Costco, it’s worth pulling the trigger, I think.

If its a shop light you’re after, it’s hard to see spending 50 bucks for a 2 bulb shop light when Amazon has the Lithonia Lighting 1284GRD RE 4-Light Heavy Duty Shop light for the same amount, rated 4.5 starts to boot. I would opt for more light any day.

But that’s a fluorescent light. . . many of us are trying to move away from Fluorescent to the LED lights. I have an office and two different shops on Fluorescents and want to gradually get all shifted to LED. One thing people don’t like to talk about is the fact that over time, Fluorescents dim and dim so you’re not getting the full lumens anyway. I’ve been very pleased with the latest LED’s we’ve installed, in fact, I put can LED lights in our eaves and it was unbelievable how many I could daisy-chain on one single circuit. I recently purchased replacement LED tubes for a couple of my shop lights, but haven’t had time to get them installed. I’m hoping the price of four light LEDs comes down pretty soon so I can just change fixtures, but we’re not there yet. I agree with most posters these days, I haven’t found much to buy on Woot and am disappointed that now their emails generate about as much excitement in me as every other so called “discount site”. They used to be the FIRST email I opened each day. . .now it’s often 1 or 2:00 p.m. before I get around to it. Oh well, all good things must come to an end.

You think this and you joined in 2014?

You really missed the “good old days” by not joining earlier.

Home Depot has an LED Shop Light on sale as well for $39.98:

Specs state that:
Energy star rated
Up to 9 units may be linked together using 13 in. linking cord, or end to end connector (included)
120-Volt operation
Rated 50,000 hours
3200 Lumens
36-Watt

Rated minimum starting temperature of -4°F, perfect for cold start environments
5 ft. cord and plug included
5-year warranty
cUL rated

Does anyone know how Commercial Electric LEDs rate in terms of quality?

Could you have more than one of these hooked up to each other? Sort of like a daisy chain effect?

Does this have a switch of any kind (like a pull chain or string)? Or does it rely on the outlet being on a switch?