Lenovo S30 Intel Xeon 128G+2TB WorkStation

Lenovo S30 Intel Xeon 128G+2TB WorkStation

Intel Xeon E5-1603 does not have Integrated Intel HD Graphics or as stated in specs. No VGA port as well.

Picture clearly shows a discrete graphics card with DVI.

1 Like

What is the mt type?

The motherboard has a VGA port. (top left)

But what you’re saying is the E5-1603 processor doesn’t have integrated graphics so the VGA can’t be used?

I will showing my age here, but thats not a hd15 VGA port on the pictures its a 9 pin serial com. port. So yes there appears to be a discrete video graphics card.

2 Likes

Correct. That is a 9-pin RS232 port, not a VGA port. The RS232 port has two rows of pins; VGA has 3 rows.

You are also correct that the Xeon does NOT have discreet graphics. A Passmark of around 6100 ain’t terrible as a regular business machine.

@ThunderThighs - hate to bother you again, but there is (1) no Integrated Graphics (2) no VGA port (3) no PS/2 ports. The screen shot isn’t clear enough to discern if that is a single DVI port or a multi-monitor connector like on the Nvidia Quadro series or older ATI video cards. A little clarity of the video card would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

If you were really showing your age, you’d have commented that it is missing the PS/2 port listed as well

1 Like

I think you will find that Woot uses “typical” or stock photos of quite a few of their offerings – not necessarily photos of the actual product. Computer listings are quite often affected with this issue.

But that being said. If this particular computer CPU / Motherboard combo does not offer on-board graphics of any sort, then the you are correct to assume that there should be some sort of add-on video card. Although I have seen some refurb business systems with NO graphics provided – it’s up to the user to add their own.

Come on Woot! Don’t keep us in suspense :wink:

1 Like

PS/2? How about 5 pin DIN? :wink:

Woot%205%20pin%20DIN

2 Likes

I’ve bought 4 or 5 refurbed HPs with that same graphics card - I used this adapter to use it with VGA only monitors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ENYJPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Incidentally, I had to use that on systems that did HAVE a VGA port - but they came configured such that the VGA was not live, only the discrete graphics card was.

1 Like

I <3 Lenovo gear, but I don’t <3 Windows. Do any of these deals have a Linux option?

No, sorry. You’re on your own if you want to install Linux.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I’ll keep shopping. Installing Linux on things that were engineered with it firmly in mind is a much better experience than installing it on things that were designed with only Windows in mind. Do you mind if I keep looking and occasionally asking for a Linux-based offering?

If Linux is available, it will state it in the features/specs. We don’t have options for other operating systems.

Honestly, I’ve can only recall us selling Linux one time a couple years ago and we didn’t sell enough to repeat it.

I’ve installed Linux on at least 5 different systems “not engineered with it firmly in mind” and never had any issues at all. What kind of “much better experience” are you looking for?

1 Like

+1

Looking at the specs I don’t see any issues with any of the mainstream linuxes or BSD’s out there.

Hi there. This has been updated as follows:

Graphics: Removed integrated Intel HD, added 256MB display card with DVI connection

Ports: Removed VGA port, added DVI port

Photo: Added note to rear facing photo that it is a stock photo

1 Like

Yes, I’ve done a few, too. Maybe a hundred by now. The thing I have problems with most often is Broadcom wireless, but sometimes, I have trouble with the video adapter driver and system freezes. Most systems work perfectly, but it’s very frustrating to pay for one that doesn’t, so I always ask for Linux pre-installed. It minimizes the likelihood of inconvenience and nudges sellers to provide the Linux option.

Pretty sure there are no U.S. stock configurations that match that (according to Lenovo’s PSREF). Do you have a model number? There isn’t one anywhere in the specs document. The stock graphics would usually be a Quadro, anything from a 410 to a K600.