Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black or White

Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black or White

I got one of these to replace an Echo Dot because I wanted a more powerful speaker. It’s better than I expected, plenty loud enough to be heard over the sound of hand washing dishes six feet away. Music sounds surprisingly good for its size, but not great. Huge improvement over the Dot, though. For the price and with a year warranty, seems like a good deal to me.

1 Like

Bought one when it went on sale and it’s a great product. Works great with the Ring Pro video doorbell on sale today.

I’m not a deal expert but Gen 5 is selling for $89 and this Gen 1 is $69 and its probably a refurb. Doesn’t seem like much of a deal to me???

2 Likes

Yes, it’s refurbished & it’s 20 bucks more than the offer/sale 2 weeks ago of 50 bucks.

Not a refurb: Condition New

And the ones out now are 2nd gen, not 5th. There is a new Echo 5 but that stands for the 5 inch screen. Last time these were here (in Used condition) a wooter listed a link that these can now support some streaming video services which makes it a nice small tv substitute in the kitchen, workshop, etc.

Bought one of these for the kitchen & demonstrated for my family everything it does. Come home to find my wife watching Hulu (which this device supports) on her iPad mini- which she’d set up directly in front of the Echo Show. Old habits die hard, but this is still a pretty good device (though as the on-screen suggestions of “things to try” illustrate, the platform is in many ways a solution looking for a problem).

Got 3 of these few weeks back when they were $50 for myself and family…why back up to $70?

I bought one the last time they were here a few weeks ago. I had read on Sony’s site and on several media sites that PlayStation Vue worked on the device so I pulled the trigger. I am IT support for a large energy co. and figuring out how to make it work nearly drove me insane! There is no Vue skill so you have to go to their web site using the Silk or Firefox browser on the device which is well hidden. And the Silk browser doesn’t format the site correctly so you have to scroll around to look for the right buttons to do what you want. So if there isn’t already a skill for what you want to do it isn’t all that user friendly. That said i did get Vue to work and watched several programs from it. Currently I believe Hulu is the only officially supported service.

Don’t waste your money. Everyone should know there is a well documented inherent problem with this first generation echo show. After several months the screen will flicker and it will be worthless. I know this because I bought one from woot and they refused to take it back after 8 months. Worse is Woot is a Amazon company so they have no excuse. Its ethically wrong.

This one has a bigger screen, and better speakers. The one you are referring to is the echo 5 which is the 3rd gen but called echo 5 because of the 5 inch screen.

The reason why these are $20 more than they were the first time through is that these are new units, not used or refurbs.

I have all 3 of the Show versions. The Echo Show 5 and it is a 5” screen with smaller speakers.

This is a good deal, if you don’t want to pay for the Show 2.

Had mine since release. No issues.

3 Likes

Does this need to be plugged in or is it wifi compatible.

Also can you watch Netflix or Amazon Prime on it or just Hulu

I have 2. Zero issues as well

1 Like

The Google home hub is $61 on Rakuten.

The Echo Show 5 is $89.99 on Amazon.

It’s a decent price if you want this particular model. But Prime Day is the 15th.

Those were being sold as used according to my purchase history. I received new ones though.

I would agree…On your expert comment. It says new not refurb.

18 pages of postings about the Echo Show flickering problems. Doesn’t seem to be resolved.

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/echo-alexa/473732-echo-show-screen-flicker

Not everyone knows. Had mine for two years and never had a problem. It’s a great product, and I feel morally great to own it.

1 Like