Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black

Amazon Echo Show - First Generation - Black

Seems like a decent deal. Originally I thought the Echo Show 5 was a better unit, but it appears the First/Second gen echo actually had better speakers. A lot of people complain that the First Generation had some pretty terrible sound quality due to the speakers being mashed together.

Price wise, seems like a solid deal.

1 Like

Really pushing these Chumbys I mean Echos. No

Does it work stand alone? Is $49 a good price for losing your privacy? :wink:

2 Likes

I love my Show and I prefer the first gen because the speakers are on the front and I generally stand in front of it.

A recommendation to anyone who buys one, some of these have screen issues. Use the heck out of it during the warranty period to make sure yours is OK.

3 Likes

To be fair, if you have a smart phone or even really use the internet, you’ve already lost your privacy. Not sure having this device will make it significantly worse.

8 Likes

How do these 1st gen Shows keep coming out of the woodwork… as new condition so long after it was replaced by the 2nd gen Show?

So note, unlike many Echo devices on Woot! that are used/open box with 90 day Woot! warranties, these have a new condition Amazon 1 year warranty.

2 Likes

I didn’t even see that. These little gadgets are amazing at this price with a year warranty.

If you like the idea of some visual interaction with an Echo device, this new condition 1st gen Show at $50 is a very nice buy.

But if your use case is also watching some streaming videos such as in the kitchen, etc… or having a larger screen view of your (compatible) security cameras vs. your phone, the larger, higher resolution screen of the 2nd gen Show might make watching for an Amazon-recertified 2nd gen Show worthwhile.

None of the three Shows produce really wonderful sound quality. But the 2nd gen Show, while a bit muddy in the bass frequencies is very noticeably better than either the 1st gen Show or the newest Show 5.

The sound quality coming out of the 1st gen Show is dramatically better vs. the 2nd Dot (not a difficult challenge!) and better than the 3rd gen Dot if you’re considering upgrading from those devices.

2 Likes

I bought one when this was on sale last month. It’s worth it for this price. The 2nd gen sounds much better though.

2 Likes

This is an excellent value at this price for a new unit.
I Have 2 of these, 2 second gen, 2 first gen echoes, an echo 5, 4 second gen dots, and 2 different “drop in” dot amps/speakers. For sound and functionality, these first gen shows blow away everything except the second gen shows, which have better sound, a bigger screen, and a zigbee hub. But cost over 4 times as much as this particular deal.

A lot of people keep mentioning the echo 5. I have mine at the side of my bed, where its small size and built in slide camera cover are advantageous. As far as sound and function, though, it does not compare to the 1st or second gen echo show.

1 Like

Yup. I have had one RMA’ed due to screen issues. I am trying to use the other ones just as you recommended. This is a better deal because it’s new and has a one year Amazon warranty as opposed to the 90 day Woot warranty mine have.

1 Like

I bought, 6 of the reburb ones (or were they used?) and they are great. I have had screen issues though and got one RMA’ed. Fingers crossed they go bad within the 90 days. These at least have a year warranty which is nice.

1 Like

I like my 1st gen show quite a bit. Perfect kitchen gadget if you ask me. My one complaint is that I use my echo dots to create a ‘whole home’ audio system by 3.5mm jacking them into receivers or soundbars around the house. These shows don’t have any audio output port.

2 Likes

Is this worth it considering I have a Fire tablet 8? I use it like the Show in my kitchen. The tablet’s screen is bigger than this.

I have the new Show 5 and find the screen too small to the point of almost useless.

I like the Show 5 as an alarm clock- it has features that this one doesn’t. I was planning on going to a Fire 8 with a tablet holder speaker when my gen 1 Show died. This is a nice solid unit but I doubt it’s much better than the Fire.

1 Like

Actually I just played with my Fire 8 hd in show mode. In my opinion the Show can hear me better. A lot better. I hate shrieking at Alexa.

1 Like

Thanks for trying that out.

I got one of these last spring. It works well, sounds great. Downside it doesn’t hear over its own noise like the later generations do. Also I find the screen distracting, trying to entice you to interact with it. Sure you can say Alexa turn off the screen but as soon as you ask it to do anything at all the screen comes back on and stays on.

I think it’s great if you want to know the dimensions the video gives you.