Craftsman 17-Piece Screwdriver Set

Craftsman 17-Piece Screwdriver Set

In case you’re wondering what’s actually in this set:

• Includes 9 slotted screwdrivers: 3/32" x 1 1/2", 1/8" x 2", 1/8" x 4", 3/16" x 1 1/2", 3/16" x 4", 3/16" x 6", 3/16" x 9", 1/4" x 4", 1/4" x 6"
  • Includes 7 Philips screwdrivers: #0 x 1 1/2", #0 x 2 1/2", #1 x 1 1/2", #1 x 3", #2 x 4", #2 x 6", #2 x 8"
  • Includes 4 in 1 pocket keychain

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-31794-Slotted-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B007C6LHXY/

Can I gap my spark plugs with that 4-in-1 tool? Do people still gap spark plugs? I bet @Narfcake does.

I think it’s just flat-bladed screwdrivers.

1 Like

Why in the world would you think that? The photo and description all say otherwise.

Used to be when Sears owned Craftsman that their screwdrivers were guaranteed for life. Now that someone else bought the brand (Black and Decker???) I don’t know if they come with that same guarantee?

The ones with that are just blue and clear color are phillips

B

He means the little disk thing. It’s a four-way keychain slotted screwdriver, not a spark plug gapping tool as someone else thought.

1 Like

They do, but the SBD ones are no longer made in USA.

Even when these were USA-made by Western Forge, they were basically disposable. Sears would exchange them if you wanted them to, but the fact is that these are not premium screwdrivers at $20 for a 17-piece set. They wear out with use and most people just replace them when the tips go. If you’re worried about warranty you should probably look for something better. Maybe Wera or Wiha, or if you like these acetate handles, Channellock.

My first car was a new English car and i had to gap the spark plugs at least once a week. I also had to clean them, they would get pitted. It was a crap car. Now i never have to gap the plugs and i rarely replace them. Even when i replace them the new ones seem to be no improvement. Cars have improved a lot, lol.

1 Like

I just exchanged two Craftsman screwdrivers (one damaged til and one with the handle chewed by our collie) at Lowes. They carry a nice selection of Craftsman band tools, apparently still guaranteed for life.

I guess I can’t read. If you can please quote the part of the description that says the keychain tool is more than flat-bladed screwdrivers I’d be thankful.

1 Like

I still gap the plugs for my chainsaw, tiller, weedeater, mowers etc… every year.

1 Like

trust your mechanic to gap your plugs
bring the car in to his garage
he tightens and loosens a few spare parts
one thing’s fixed, the other falls apart
again and again and again
gonna rip you off

3 Likes

Trust your mechanic to plug your holes
Trust him to make more somewhere else
Trust your mechanic, he’ll always come through and rip you off

I was just at the closeout sale of the last Kmart and they had this set 15% off and priced at the retail $39.99. I passed on that and I will pass on this, I bought a set of Benchtop screw drivers from Kmart 20 years ago, they look exactly like Williams screw drivers of the same vintage. Note that I said LOOK like, not LOOKED like, I have destroyed more Craftsman screw drivers over the years than I could count. I still have and use every Mac and Benchtop screwdriver I ever bought, I had Snap On Screw drivers and the blades were always great but when they changed the grip on them I switched brands I bought a set and sold it within a few months. I like what I like I guess. Next good screwdrivers will likely be Williams if new or old Snap on or Mac if used.

If you remove the spark plug to gap it you can not reinstall it because the “crush gasket” used on power equipment plugs is a one time use item. You may think you are doing good, but you are not.

While we are at it, why are you removing and gapping the spark plug in the first place? Are you a small engine engineer? Because a team of small engine engineers wrote the manual and it says to “replace” the plug at a given interval, that interval is more than a year unless you are a landscaper.

Lets take another step back shall we, on a Toyota by comparison, they tend to have really short service intervals on some cars for some reason, the spark plug replacement interval is 30,000 miles. In a car traveling at 60 MPH all the time 30,000 miles is 500 operating hours, that is 12.5 working weeks if you own a landscaping business or 500 weekends if you own a home. That is about 10 years if you live in the sunbelt, more like 25 years in the North. By that reasoning the average homeowner should never need to replace or service, but we already established that you should never service a spark plug, a spark plug in most of their power equipment. If you are fouling plugs get the equipment repaired properly or mix your fuel correctly. I have a 1984 Toro tractor with the factory spark plug in it and all I do in the Spring is put fresh gas in it, I also have a 1971 Ariens snowblower that is on its third plug and second set of points, all I do in the fall is roll it over a few times and then prime it and it starts first pull every time all winter. I had a 10 year old Ryobi Expand it Power head that started on the 3rd pull every time as well, the guy I gave it to three years ago has had the same luck, that thing always ran that premix in a can gas and that was worth ever penny. I do oil changes on everything at the beginning of the season just in case gas got into the oil during the off season, replace filters where needed at the same time, no air filter on a snowblower, and do the annual chassis lube at the same time.

In short you are wasting your time and probably doing more harm than good because you are masking a problem instead of fixing it along with wearing out spark plug threads that were not designed for the wear you are putting on them.

How many screwdrivers do you destroy in a year?

1 Like

LOL
Most of my small engine equipment was purchased in the 1980’s.
Everything still runs like a top on 1 or 2 pulls after my 30-40 years of engine-abuse.
As that works great for me so far, I probably won’t change what I’m doing now.
Thanks for the advice though…

2 Likes

A Lucas ignition system that regularly needed adjusting? That’s … normal.

(I wonder how many folks here remember how to do points …)

2 Likes