Range Technology AFM Disable Device

Range Technology AFM Disable Device

Let me get this straight: We have the chance to pay $120 to make our cars less fuel efficient? O_o

1 Like

Fuel efficiency is probably not a concern for people that buy V8 trucks. Lol.

But on a serious note, Iā€™m really surprised car makers donā€™t offer an option/switch to disable this. Seems like AFM would be terrible in situations when youā€™re towing things or have a heavy load in the truck bed.

2 Likes

It isnā€™t about fuel efficiency. The GM AFM has been known for causing premature lifter failures.

4 Likes

This is emission cheating device. It is illegal to use. If you want more instant power, get Electric car. You get what you want and donā€™t have to feel bad about increasing the negative impact on air quality. For more information, go to electricauto.org
To launch EV shopping assistant, go to https://plugstar.com/

1 Like

LOL

Feel bad?

2 Likes

How is this illegal?

1 Like

" increasing the negative impact on air quality" ??

Do you have any idea where electricity comes from? Itā€™s not ā€˜pollution freeā€™. In fact, electric cars create MORE pollution than a gasoline powered car in the long run.

That said the (drastically overpriced) Tesla is/can be a awesome, powerful car.

4 Likes

No, electric cars do NOT cause more pollution than ICE cars. They cause quite a bit less pollution. That lie was justified by comparing an EV vs an existing ICE car that somebody might drive for another 10 years and didnā€™t include any of the pollution cost in making the ICE car.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ll get right on buying that electric pickup truckā€¦

2 Likes
1 Like
  1. this isnā€™t an emission cheating device. In fact, emissions are not affected at all. in fact itā€™s approved by CA Emissions Compliance. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-751.pdf

2. Yes, you will have to unplug the device during emissions test. Why? it goes into the same port the ODB2 scanner goes.

3. this is similar to other aftermarket device that disable the ā€œturn your car off at a stop signā€ (which are not ā€œemission cheat devicesā€ in fact they are ā€œprevent your starter from failing earlier devicesā€) This device prevents a situation when you are towing where all of the sudden you lose have your torque and your MPG drops because half of the cylinders turn off.

I got to know, where do you think electricity comes from in the US? Due to the current infrastructure of the US more than likely your electricity is coming from coal or nuclear plant. If everyone drove electric cars we would have worse pollution (because people are cheap and lazy and would just open up more coal plants).

8 Likes

Bingo, that is the issue. Trying to trick the fuel mileage game is hurting engines.

1 Like

Rivian is making some really cool ones. They arenā€™t cheap, but most of the big ICE pickups arenā€™t cheap either.

Sounds as though someone doesnā€™t know that electricity comes mostly from coal and nuclear power plants - and that making the batteries for those cars causes far more pollution than driving a car with a combustion engine ever could. But it FEELS good, soā€¦

3 Likes

Electricity comes from the electrical outlets. DUH!! Do you smell any air pollution when you use those? NO. (Well, I did when I hooked up my 30-amp butthurt detector at Starbucks, but that only happened onceā€¦)

Depends upon where you live. In my area, most of our electricity comes from renewables (wind, solar). Our house, specifically, is 99.999% solar, which I use to charge my plug-in hybrid. Our combination of solar and Tesla Powerwall makes us nearly totally self-powered (only requires power from the grid to actually start the A/C unit, but running it is self-powered). And our grid is mostly renewable-powered.

1 Like

At least on one of my cars, you donā€™t need some ā€œaftermarket deviceā€ to deactivate the Stop/Start technology. Thereā€™s a button on the dash to do so. I do use it on a few occasions when Iā€™m on a street that has a lot of stop signs. But, for the most part Iā€™ve become accustomed to the Stop/Start and it hasnā€™t negatively affected my driving or my carā€™s reliability.

I just use my 6.7 liter Cummings diesel truck. Donā€™t need any else.

Yā€™all can debate the gasoline vs electric scooters

4 Likes

Well this is partially true. Three reason there arenā€™t more nuclear plants opening is most people like the idea of the cleaner energy just nobody wants them built anywhere near them. This makes it almost impossible to get new plants approved to be built.