First Alert Home Fire Extinguisher 2-Pack

First Alert Home Fire Extinguisher 2-Pack

I checked my old fire extinguishers. Had purchased them when I purchased this house some 25 years ago. Of course the dials said “Needs recharged”. Contacted local fire department for a recommendation for recharging. The firm they named said it would take $30@ to recharge one of my old ones, or $60 for the pair. And that didn’t include any repair, parts, tax and some other stuff.

I’d honestly been prepared to go up to $20@, or $40 for recharging the pair, because the old ones are larger and I don’t like contributing to the world’s landfill.

But even without the free t-shirt in the Woot! deal, $29.99 for a pair of new ones was a no-brainer.

Hah - inspiration about my +25-year-old fire extinguishers.

At Christmas I’m going to take the grandkids outside and set one off. Everybody gets a chance at holding and firing (assuming it still has some oomph). I figure an actual fire is not the time for figuring out which end is up and how to point the thing.

Even if there isn’t any charge left, just the handling of them and the exercise of going through the setting-off steps is good.

Also, before putting old ones in recycling, one is supposed to discharge them anyway. Why not a valuable practical experience from the process?

Well, sort of. … When I told my son of the deal, I ended up ordering two pairs for him also. So I’m really out almost $90.

1 Like