5 Gallon Galvanized Steel Gas Can, Red

I have had a problem with other plastic “safety” gas cans that vent outward only and end up collapsing into themselves like a crushed tin can over time.

Reading a few woot reviews, this doesn’t seem to be a problem with these metal cans, right?

How about the claim that fuel last longer in metal than plastic, is there any proof?

The photo shows a metal handle, a woot comment says on the last sale, even though the photo showed a metal handle the handle was plastic and his broke, although you can buy another one.

Woot - are the ones you are selling now have a plastic (like before) or metal handle like the photo?

No, I still have my father’s can from the 70/80’s and it (mostly - there are a few dents) is the same shape as the day he bought it.

I have the smaller version and this one as well. These are far superior to the plastic ones you can buy. Clearly worth it. I’m thinking about buying another and getting rid of another plastic one.

I put one of these on my Christmas list last year and marked it high priority. My wife thought I was joking. But I got it :slight_smile:

Worth every penny, especially at this price. Way better then the CARB compliant ones you commonly find in the store which all have the worst nozzles ever designed. Leave it to California to mess up something as simple as a gas can for everyone. I believe the deal is these meet OSHA requirements so they don’t have to comply with the stupid CARB requirements.

Just to add to the already positive consensus, I have one of these and I love it. I love a gas can? Well, after dealing with a crappy plastic one with a puzzle-like filling/pouring mechanism, I can say that I do. This thing is very sturdy and I am quite sure it will be around longer than I. The funnel is plastic, but it’s not going anywhere anytime soon, either.

Follow Narfcake’s link to Zoro. I did not find a 3 gal there but did find a 2 gal in yellow for two-stroke mixture.

WHOOP! Great woot and in for 3. Went over to Zoro thanks to Narfcake and picked up the 2-gal I wanted. Now how do you get rid of the old leaky plastic ones?

Can the funnel be removed? There’s no pic where you can see the actual cap, and the description talks about a “trigger”. So this doesn’t have a screw-on cap? I would prefer a screw-on cap and a removable funnel.

My father has a very old 5-gal gas can that’s been scratched, dented, dinged and what-have-you over the span of probably 20 odd years. This would be a nice replacement/addition.

That said, I’ve always been very nervous/cautious when filling these up at gas stations since the pump is metal and the can is metal. (My father’s can has a very strong spring-loaded cap and is nearly impossible to keep open with one hand while filling with the other. Not sure how this one handles filling up.)

Are there ever any concerns with these causing a spark during filling?

A WORD OF CAUTION!

Love this can however if you store it in the garage or in a place it may heat up a little be sure to vent the vapors before trying to use. I used this once and decided to put the funnel in the hole first and then pull the handle to open. (the can was fairly full) The gas proceeded to hit the funnel at such a force it shot backwards and covered me in gas…fun times.

Is it safe to store the can with gas in it in the car if it’s secured, in the trunk for example?

I bought one of these cans at a big box store on sale a few months back for the same price.

The pull back handle to open the lid is made of plastic ( carry handle is steel) and seems sturdy, spring load on lid doesn’t seem too overly stiff. Not sure what the pound rating is on the spring.

For filling I just remove funnel and insert funnel into can. Funnel holds spring loaded lid open. You won’t be able to insert funnel very far due to the spark arrestor. And when filling you just have to go a bit slower unlike the old plastic cans which have no spark arrestor.

This is a great gas can at a very good price in my opinion…

Funnel is removable, cap is spring loaded to keep it shut. For safety, spring loaded cap is better…

Even cheaper if you sign up for their newsletter. You get $5 off your first purchase. Got mine for $27.77 shipped.

reflection,
Sorry, NOT safe.
This is a “type I” can that will vent (explosive gasoline) vapors when warmed, even a little bit.
This is not a put down of Type I cans - it’s better than what a sealed plastic can could do once warmed enough… None of these Type I or II cans should be stored in the trunk of a car. There are “Type II” cans that are made for transport of Flammable Liquids - those start out at over $200 per can at that Zoro link above. Look at the “DOT transport approved” cans there. Even THOSE big bucks contraptions should NOT be stored in the trunk of a car.
Link to DOT transport tank @ zoro.

Good WOOT but I use Type II cans over these type I cans. I have one of these Eagle Type I cans and it was a real revelation to move to the Type II cans from Zoro (Granger.) In fact this WOOT was just the excuse I needed to pick up a pair of “JUSTRITE” 2 Gallon, Type II cans (Zoro item numbers G1000002 and G2450147) for my 2 cycle mixes as well. These are SUPER cans - all metal (no plastic handles) MUCH heaver gauge welded construction - I could go on and on. To top it off, was the coupon code I found on line “VEGGIE” saved me 20% on my total order of 75 or more (good excuse to get the 2 different shaped cans.)
WOOT is a winner (to me,) even when I buy elsewhere.
Link to Type II cans at Zoro:
http://www.zoro.com/g/Type%20II%20Safety%20Cans%20and%20DOT%20Transport%20Dispensing%20Cans/00069519/None

These are great cans. I have 2. The comment about venting them is a good one. If they are full, and the weather is hot, you will get sprayed if you don’t vent.

I have to say the price is just mediocre. Our local Rural King store dropped their everyday price on these from $39.99 to $29.99. And they run them on sale for $24.99.

I have one of these. +1 on the comment to VENT FIRST before getting into pouring position. Also +1 on the comments about the weight when full. But other than those caveats, I would certainly buy another of these if I needed one; it’s far easier to use than the stupid push-nozzle type.