SOG Spirit Fixed Blade/Spear, 36" Handle

SOG Spirit Fixed Blade/Spear, 36" Handle

This looks like a silly impulse purchase, but people should be aware that because it has two sharpened edges this would qualify as a dagger or dirk which could have legal ramifications depending on laws where you live. If carried in that sheath under a shirt or jacket for example, it would be illegal in Virginia (which for now has fairly lax knife laws) probably other states as well.

Nothing like a surprise felony to ruin your day.

Good call, davemays123. That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw this. Be advised, all, that it’s a crime, a felony if the DA says it is, in California as well. Very stupid to carry something like this around. If you’re in Federal territory, e.g. Angeles National Forrest, it might be okay. But for the love of all that’s good don’t let the L.A. County Sheriff catch you with it. Oh, you will be sorry.

So, I’m one of the people who buys silly stuff like this as an impulse purchase. Mine came in two days ago. My son in also a law enforcment officer in California, where we live. So I asked…

This spear is 100% a dirk, as defined by California law. While this state is very strict on carrying guns, knife laws are surprisingly lax here. There is no prohibition, at a state level, against openly carrying either the completed spear or just the tip, so long as it’s sheathed and attached to you. The law simply prohibits carrying it concealed (which would be difficult to do) and carrying it in your hands (brandishing). The spear does include a cover and belt loop that would allow it to be carried in compliance with the law.

Of course, he also pointed out that specific jurisdictions within the state may have additional limitations (Los Angeles basically bans anything pointy), that carrying on any federal lands is going to be a problem, and that many government properties will also restrict that a bit. So, if you try to open carry this three-foot-long spear as you take your angry Falling Down stroll across the City of Angels, you’re gonna have a bad day. San Jose, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to have a problem with it.

That’s funny.
Pinocchio arrested…

Also, this does not come with the 36" handle as stated in the headline. It does state somewhere else that it will attach to a standard broom handle but this is very deceptive and misleading.

It should have come with the handle. We’ve sold this numerous times and this the first case I’ve heard about a missing handle. Reach out to Woot Customer Service. From a browser, use the Woot Customer Service form. In the Woot App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Contacted Woot customer service and they stated that they would issue a refund. I get it, stuff happens. They responded quickly and have given me no reason to believe that the refund won’t happen. It was all handled quickly and very well. Thank You.