Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi System

Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi System

I have 3 of the Tri-band and 2 of the dual-band as a mesh network in my house (not that big, but I got them at different times from Linksys to test). I’ve been really pleased with the simplicity of setting them up, and their seamless functioning. Adding nodes to a network is quite easy as well. The app that lets you control the network will notify you if a node gets disconnected for whatever reason. I can see which devices are on my network or have been, and control access. I have no dead spots in my house and the wireless easily reaches into my backyard or front yard when I’m mowing the lawn and streaming my music library.

I would recommend this setup for the more typical consumer user who wants to set and forget their WiFi network at home…it is rare that I have to reset the network or do anything to keep it going. It will even do auto firmware updates, etc.

2 Likes

Can you set them up with different wifi passwords for different users like how Plume / Smartthings do it?

I second that. I setup 3 units in a steal and brick building, 3 floors. Works well!

I don’t know the answer to that, but I don’t think so (but don’t quote me on that)

Quoted you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Hmm basically you… Never-mind, I will just link an article, this is the feature I am asking about.

Do all of these need to be wired directly to an ethernet cable or do they feed off of a main node like range extenders?

If you want the highest speed everywhere, you can wire them together. If you do not wire them they will function in mesh mode. I have one in the basement, one on the main floor, and one upstairs, and I have decent Wi-Fi everywhere in my house.

I have had these for 3 years, and I do not believe you can set up more than a standard user and a guest.

The master node will need to be connected to your modem via Ethernet, but the others use one of the wireless bands for the “backhaul” where the nodes send the data to and from the master node.

1 Like

Very interesting function…I think this would be awesome to have. I have not found a function like this on this Linksys device (or any of the others I have tested).

It truly is nice, I had received 200$ credit from Samsung when they canceled all fold pre-orders, so I used it to pickup a 3 pack of the smarthing router. You can set the logins to expire, restrict them to only accessing different devices, etc. Only thing I wish is that they would tag them as vlans so I can easily route traffic to a VPN without worrying about Mac id’s. I use it with pfsense and it works amazingly.

For those who have these, do they have an AP/bridge mode that allows the main unit to be connected to a LAN port on an existing router (Fios Quantum Gateway, in my case) so that the Velop does not function as a router? Any experience with a setup like this and any problems with speed? Thank you!

That is exactly how I have mine setup. I’m stuck on Frontier… wish I was still with Verizon though. I’d love to find a way to get rid of the gateway all together.

You lose some functionality of course, but they work in bridge mode.

I actually use them all in wired backhaul since I’ve got everything wired.

2 Likes

So I have a 100 year old plaster and stucco house. Wifi is in the back and it peters out toward the front of the house. Hard wiring would be a pain in the the crawl space. Is this what I need? 2 or 3 of these spread around?

What’s the difference between dual and tri?

1 Like

The nodes use one of the bands as the “backhaul.” In other words, how the nodes transfer data between themselves. This means that band isn’t being used to communicate with your devices. The Tri-band should then be theoretically be faster. That being said, your overall speed is likely to be limited by you internet service provider more than the speed of these nodes talking to each other.

1 Like

Thank you for the well thought out review. I appreciate the info and am purchasing because of it! You Rock!

I have the Orbi (Netgear) mesh system that is often on sale here with a base unit and two satellites (similar to this). It works AMAZING in my 100 yr old house. I have wifi all through the house and my yard now, whereas before it was spotty even inside my house. I have no experience with this brand, but would assume it work similarly. I can personally recommend the Orbi system, I’ve used it in two houses with very difficult structures that impede wifi to overcome those issues.

@ThunderThighs : please send my commission check…

2 Likes