Dell 9020 Intel i5 500GB+128GB Desktop

Dell 9020 Intel i5 500GB+128GB Desktop

Can anyone confirm the WiFi capability for this tower? Specs say “USB WiFi dongle” but further down under the “in the box” section it simply says “WiFi”.

Does that mean this comes with an external USB WiFi adapter dongle (as the specs suggest)? I find it hard to believe WiFi capabilities would be provided in the form of an external dongle rather than an internal adapter connected straight to the motherboard.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there. It’s an external adapter. Business computers often don’t have Wi-Fi since they connect via Ethernet.

Mine did not come with any wifi adapter. went through box three times looking even checked the description again to make sure it should have one.

I’m sorry about that. Please reach out to Woot Customer Service. From a browser, use the Woot Customer Service form. In the Woot App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Does the power supply have an extra lead to add a graphics card?

Hi there. Sorry but the Dell specs don’t go to that level of information. It’s also possible the power supply was replaced during refurbishing.

Just look for graphics cards that can be powered by the PCIe. There are several. Frankly, it’s a i5-2500, any GPU powerful enough to require a discreet power lead is going to run straight into a bottleneck at the CPU. But it’s an i5-2500. You could stick an $800 GPU in there and you’d still be playing Overwatch on low/low.

Its not crazy to think about turning one of these into a medium-duty gaming rig, but if that’s what you want to do there’s an almost identical Optiplex 7020 here on Woot right now, starting at $269, that’s the one I’d go for. For $50 more you get an i5-4570, which is 2 generations newer than this chip. The performance in terms of MHz is roughly the same, but its an LGA 1150 socket, instead of the 1155 in this one. Higher throughput, and more channels to the RAM I think? And unlike the 1155 there are actually a couple of CPUs worth upgrading to. It’s still a Dell enterprise motherboard, so I have no idea if its got extra power leads, but if it does at least it has a the ability to use that kind of processing power.

1 Like

Very happy with this purchase. I’m a happy Linux user for many years now, but I just needed something that will Windos for various work related stuff, and I will not install The Beast on my daily driver. So I was looking for ACAP, but still with a good bit of oomph for virtualization (and the RAMs). Was pretty nervous about refurbs, I’ve seen lots of reviews about filthy machines full of lint and damage beyond the cosmetic, and invalid software keys. Just want to say that the product I received was spotless and pristine inside and out, everything operating 100%. Windows was installed correctly on the SSD and activated on the first try and configuring the SSD and the HDD to work correctly together is a one click process in Windows 10. Glad I went Woot instead of NewEgg or Tiger Direct. Best price too!

2 Likes

No wifi dongle or anything wifi included. 500gb hard drive arrived dead (western digital blue hard drive). Mis-matched ram sticks. Certainly not factory reconditioned or refurbished. More like a Frankenstein of old spare parts assembled in someone’s mom’s basement. I would assume the same with the other dell pc’s listed as well.

I’m sorry for the condition. Please reach out to Woot Customer Service. From a browser, use the Woot Customer Service form. In the Woot App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.