61” Platinum Plus Deluxe Tripod by Sunpak

Well, all you have to do is look in the manual and…

Oh that’s right, I couldn’t find the manual. This item isn’t even mentioned on Sunpak’s website.

So I think it’s best to assume a “no,” because

1. it’s an inexpensive model

2. it’s not mentioned in the description

3. This reviewer of a different Sunpak tripod wasn’t enthusiastic.

Unless someone from Woot chimes in and says otherwise…

Also, from the picture, you can’t invert the legs, as you can on a few tripods.

Good stuff. Inverting the column allows you to mount the camera closer to the ground.

There’s a few reviews at Best Buy:

http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D8780633%26st%3Dtripod%26lp%3D11%26type%3Dproduct%26cp%3D1%26id%3D1204332501438&session_token=VLYb1qc3b2EtbfBo_c2rSKyNQrp8MTI4OTcxOTE0Nw%3D%3D

Kind of mixed. I was tempted, and now I’m wondering if I should spend a bit more for something better.

This seems to be a good price for this 'pod though, if you like it. I’m sure it’s decent as a cheaper one goes…

I got three Sunpaks on Woot about two years ago, or thereabouts. They were similar to these.

These are lightweight, light duty tripods. You can tell how chea-ply made they are by looking closely at the adjustment knobs, they are simply molded plastic on a plastic spindle (that on of mine was broken on arrival from Woot).

But these are fine for around the house or calm outdoor environments.

I have an old tripod that I bought on Craig’s List, it was about $20 but the guy told me it was $200 back in the sixties. But it’s massive, made to hold the heavy camera or video equipment of the time.

You can buy this to get you by, then check your local CL for a photographer upgrading. You can get $400 tripods for $100, $200 for $75, etc.

Warning: Once you use a $200 to $400 tripod “you will never go back to a Sunpak.” (Like the way I made a play on another famous phrase. LOL.)

No but they make them with two legs

9 dollars cheaper is not enough for me to buy something i do not need, i am one to buy stuff even if i don’t need it as long as the price is right.

I’ll find my Sunpak so I can give you the exact model to compare this too.

Oh wait, I’ll just look it up on Woot.

this is perfect. i’ve been needing something to attach my external flash to. don’t need anything super heavy duty for just a flash. :slight_smile:

I could agree that this would be good for a flash stand, it’s certainly in the right price range for that.

Now, for a good previous woot sale for a flash stand I couldn’t pass this up: Previous Woot
, since it’s also a walking stick and makes a decent camera monopod.

This looks very similar if not identical to my Merkury Innovations tripod that I bought a few years ago. I would imagine that these are just mass produced and stamped with whatever company contracted them out.

Saying that, it is a good cheap tripod. Much better than the Kodak brand one I bought at the Wally Mart. Don’t expect pro quality, but for holding your camcorder on Xmas morning or at the birthday party, they are fine.

Puppies are made from the same material as dogs but smaller and less of it.

I didn’t think you went to Platinum Plus to look at tripods…

OK… the beauty of Woot, we can look up everything we have ever bought (for those of you who don’t know, simply go to “My Account” and your buying history is all there.)

Anyway, these were a steal back then, no wonder I bought three. (But they are the really, really el chea-po Sunpak model. See the panhead closeup and you will see what I mean. On one of my three that I got, the knob that stops the mount tube, oval shaped, was broken and because of the way it was could not be glued.)

Model: 5200D Sunpak Platinum Plus

Max Height: 52"

Min Height 19"

Weight: 1.8 lb

Load Capacity: 3.3 lb

Sale date: July 19, 2009

Price: $6

Price for three: $22.97

Here’s some pics so you can compare the two:

http://www.rantuniverse.com/Woot5200DSunpak_Platinum.jpg

http://www.rantuniverse.com/Woot5200DPanhead.jpg

Is this current tripod much better than the ones I bought for $6? I doubt it’s much better.

So even this better tripod is still only OK for light duty and gentle outdoor environments.

http://www.tshirtwatch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/luluweb_2.jpg

I actually had a three-legged dog while I was growing up. I think I was in Kindergarten. She got hit by a car and they needed to amputate her rear leg. She recovered wonderfully and romped and played like any dog with four legs. She lived to a ripe old age, my Princess. :slight_smile:

90%x90%

… well, at least you got the number correct…:snob:

EDIT: Now, if Cerberus could stand on his heads and hold a camera in his paws, THAT would be an awesome tripod…:wink:

Good point.

And besides these being pretty basic, people should note the weight capacity for this tripod is 3 lbs.

I assume not many folks are nowadays using old tape camcorders from a few years back. Some of those get close to the capacity of this.

But even today, watch out if you are using a heavy DSLR camera. If you are using a DSLR camera, complete with flash attachment, I would not trust these Sunpak tripods in certain environments, mainly because a DSLR with flash attachment is too close to this tripods weight limit and can make the whole setup unstable. Mounted on this tripod your $1,000 camera is at risk.

For outside stuff like on the beach, etc. get a tripod that has a “wide stance” (yes, Larry Craig can tell you about a wide stance) so that the tripod does not fall over, either because of wind or someone tripping on to your camera setup.

I have seen some nice DSLR cameras, but as “parts only” on eBay where the seller said “had this on a cheap tripod that fell and my camera hit concrete.”

A tripod that’s heavy and has a wide stance (diameter) prevents such accidents.

For example my prosumer tripod (that weighs about 12 lbs) measures 4’ between each leg.

The only way that tripod and equipment are going down is if I get in a fight with the lovelies in my local 24 Hour Fitness women’s dressing room, when I am trying to film them in the shower. (Sidenote: I don’t know what the problem is with the ladies. I would think they would appreciate their 15 minutes of YouTube fame.)

Tripod - True Geek Love

Y’all realize that he has a warrant out for his arrest in 3 states and Guam, right? :wink: