Apple (2019) 16" Intel i7 & i9 MacBook Pros

Apple (2019) 16" Intel i7 & i9 MacBook Pros

With the forthcoming ARM-based Macs these will get much cheaper soon.

1 Like

But how often have you seen a laptop with an I-9 processor? Maybe I have been in a cave but this is my first

ARM is when I’m done with Macbooks. I don’t think it’s a good move.

1 Like

About $200 cheaper than the equivalent model on the Apple Store refurb department.

Why? Apple has made several CPU transformations over the years. Originally Macs had the 68000 processors (CISC). Then they moved to PowerPC (RISC) with almost no issues. Then they moved again to Intel (CISC). Now they’re moving to ARM (RISC). Each time the software transition was nearly seamless and performance significantly increased.

3 Likes

Are these laptops eligible for Apple Care?

Most likely not but that is up to apple.

There’s other i9 laptops. I have a Gigabyte i9 laptop with OLED 4k display.

Why would u buy Apple refurbished laptop from Woot? Used laptop is as good as its warranty especially expensive one like this? Pay over $2000 and pray it will last for u because all Woot does is kicking the can around by assuming Apple will sell u the AppleCare? Pass big time!!!

Def a roll of the dice. I bought a 13" from woot and it came with a dead battery. Worked out as woot paid for repair at apple and apple looked over the machine.

Intel would be the clear choice. Amiright?

As long as there’s decent support for x86/x64 emulation, I’m good with the transition. I rarely have any need to run Windows anymore, but I do nearly always have Docker containers running and some of the software running in those containers may not be ported to ARM.

It may seem like a niche case, but a lot of engineers are doing the same sort of thing for development work - having server environments containerized to support local development efforts.

You can only get AppleCare if you’re the first-time owner and there’s no way to determine that without a serial number. Since some of the refurbs on Woot are repairs made to original products, you might be the first-time owner. But it’s a roll of the dice. I’ve got a call into Woot to see if it’s possible to get a serial # but I kinda doubt I’ll be able to get it.

If you buy a refurb from Apple, the discount pays for AppleCare

If I get this same model from Apple as a refurb w AppleCare, it’s $3046 incl tax. If I buy brand new on Amazon w AppleCare, it’s $3120. So a brand new one for only +$74 than a refurb. Does anyone know if it matters where you buy it (Apple v Amazon?). It’s all about getting the AppleCare, correct?

Couple things - as to the ARM discussion, that is years away at best. The biggest drawback is the software. You would basically be limited to what’s on the AppStore. They could emulate the intel x86 based software, but it would be very slow. Don’t think about running final cut or premier on that thing.

Second issue is the setups. Doesn’t say if it’s the 5500m or 5300m graphics so I’m going to assume it’s the 4gb. The processor is the 2.3 which isn’t horrible, but a 2.4 would be nice. Last is the RAM. If you are planning on using this for 3D or rendering, you will want the 32gb version. If you aren’t, why not just buy an air for half the price? If you want it for gaming you are out of your mind and need to go sit in a corner and think about how you got to this point in life and start making some changes.