Greenworks 40V Cordless Lawn Mower

Greenworks 40V Cordless Lawn Mower

Neighbor has this exact mower / battery combo. We have average size lots for Chicago suburbs (bigger than most city homes, but not by much). The battery it came with (4.0 Ah) gets the lawn in front of his house, even if it is damp, but rarely glholds up long enough to get any of the back. He bought a second battery (spares / replacements are NOT reasonably priced) and it usually is dead by before he finishes, but he does not mind waiting to next day to finish. What he likes is being able to hear people / his music / game on radio while he cuts. If this came with at least 2 batteries I would probably go for it. Until then I will stay with my corded electric.

1 Like

I have the Ryobi 16" 40V push mower and I have a neighbor that has the E-Go 20" 56V mower and we have both tried each others mowers out so we could see the difference.

The big difference is ergonomics, we both agreed that we had become used to our respective mowers and liked the layout and start procedure we were used to better so we decided that fit is something you just grow into.

For function, I had bought my mower to do trim after mowing with a tractor but then ended up mowing the front lawn with it because I liked the job it did and enjoy walking with no one bothering me for about a half hour, I can do this easy on a single 4Ah battery. My neighbor bought his mower as a primary whole lawn machine and ended up buying an electric tractor so his mower became a trim mower, he was using three batteries and it was not quite enough.

We both agreed that these battery mowers are exceptionally great for doing jobs where you need to stop and start the mower a lot. I have ruined a lot of mowers over the years by shutting them down and restarting them over and over causing things to crack and break, I don’t worry about that with a battery mower.

Overall these mowers are great and if you have a small lawn or want to use them for trim they are exceptional at that, if you want to mow a large area you should plan on getting more batteries or mowing your lawn in small sections over several days. Aside from the no gas or oil, low noise advantage, another great thing about these mowers is that unless the battery is dead they start every single time as long as you correctly follow the start procedure, no pulling on a rope, just activate a lockout and then start leaver or button that is it. Another great thing is these mowers are easy to store because they can be stored in any position with no worries about fluids leaking because there are no fluids.

Before buying any battery equipment check that you can EASILY get more batteries, that can be a deal breaker. Also never charge a lithium battery if the battery is below 40°F, that will ruin it.

I have the earlier model of this mower and recommend it highly! I have a small house on a 50 x 100 lot, and the 4 Ah battery will cut both the front and back lawns at least twice. I do cut as high as it will go, because I don’t like the short-cropped look, but if you want the putting-green type lawn it will do that too.

It also does a good job when there are leaves, but you obviously have to empty the bag more often. I love the ‘not having to yank a cord’ to start aspect, and never having to worry about gas going stale or having to go fill a can and get it back home. And the quiet operation and no exhaust is a definite plus.

Also from Greenworks you can get other tools that use the same battery, I have a hedge trimmer, pole saw, and snow blower. There are others too like an edger, chainsaw, and leaf blower.

And for storage the handle can be folded and the mower stands up so it takes very little room. There’s a switch that keeps it from being able to start if the handle is folded for safety, and there’s also a safety plug you can remove for double protection. All in all I love mine!

1 Like

Is it self propelled?

1 Like

GREENWORKS has a few lines of 40V batteries that are incompatible. If you already have a Greenworks tool and are hoping to share batteries tool-to-tool, make sure you verify they’re both G-max, “non g-max” batteries (#22342 for instance) won’t fit.

I came to ask the same question. Slopes much?

No, but it’s not heavy so it’s easy to push (at least mine is, but it’s a slightly different model).

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. I did a little research and see self-propelled and electric is not a common combo. Makes sense. A new gas mower it is!

14" mower? Is it a toy?

2 Likes

This is why I went Ryobi, they have reasonable quality, and three batteries (yes, I know they come in different amp sizes) 4V, 18V, and 40V.