Sports Face Masks with Filters

Sports Face Masks with Filters

Fair warning - Donā€™t try to get into certain places or fly certain airlines with these. They specify masks with valves or openings will not be accepted, and even though these masks are filtered they may fail that test.

These look like they may perform their task (sports masking) as designed.

6 Likes

The valves allow for unfiltered air to pass threwā€¦ Basically protects you but not anyone else from your germs or stinky breathā€¦ Surprised this is a bestseller.

1 Like

Uhā€¦not true. It uses activated carbon filter, just like filtered water you drink that removes odors and pollutants. The air you breath through this is more filtered than your typical cloth mask you get from the grocery store.

1 Like

Some may mistake the filter for a valve, but itā€™s not a valve. No moving parts on this filter.

Letā€™s get one thing straight these masks have two holes one on each side that defeat the purpose while youā€™re wearing them. It doesnā€™t mean anything if they are capped with a piece of plastic. A test that I have tried is blowing through the mask and see if you have any air coming out while directing it at a lit candle. The candle will flicker because of escaping air. CDC guidelines do not recommend these style of mask regardless of having a 5 stage filter. There are plenty of masks out there that you can put a 5 stage filter in without having a hole on each side of it.

1 Like

@chabber @bsmith1 @tlcamerica

Ok, ok, hear me out. I didnā€™t notice the circle wasnt cut out on these. At the beginning of the pandamic my BF was offered masks VERY similar to these to buy & wear at work. Well 2 months later they arrive and by then they are determined ineffective and canā€™t wear themā€¦ :expressionless: Turns out the filter material has 2 holes cut out for the valves. I call it a valve because it is comprises of a rubber flap sandwiched between 2 pieces of plastic. Unfiltered air freely escapes out when you exhale, valve closes when you inhale. So you are breathing in filtered air. ā€” great for my job where IDIOTS STILL REFUSE MASKS AND MANAGEMENT DOES NOT CARE * end rant * haha oops.

Any hoo - the mask for sale HERE look like they skipped cutting the hole. So win??

All I know is that reguardless that fact, the mask I have is very unconformable to wear because of how thick the material is, it got hot quick! And thats with the hole. Winter is coming although.

Thank you for your time. Had to rant a little there because most of the people I spend my day with donā€™t give a shit. Iā€™m this close to quitting because my co-workers like standing within 2 feet of me, in MY bubble, UNMASKED, to talk :expressionless:

4 Likes

I have used masks like these to filter dust when mountain biking. The little circle on the filter you marked must be removed in order to fit the valves. As a result these masks do not filter your exhaled breath and as noted above in previous posts do not meet the requirements to protect from potential spread of the virus.

6 Likes

Any idea where to get replacement filters?

Iā€™d start with Amazon. They have a wide selection.

1 Like

The point vega2010 and others make is valved masks are not suitable for reducing spread of COVID-19. We mandate N-95 masks in our health care workplace for all who come in direct contact with Patients in their care. Valved masks are forbidden from use to prevent spread to co-workers and Patients (based on extensive research using CDC and other sources). They are suitable for use outdoors e.g., facial protection in Winter, but not in a supermarket or elsewhere around people if reduction of COVID-19 spread is the goal.

Buy them for their intended use, but not for stopping this pandemic in your community.

2 Likes

The CDC states: ā€œIf only a respirator with an exhalation valve is available and source control is needed, cover the exhalation valve with a surgical mask, procedure mask, or a cloth face covering that does not interfere with the respirator fit. ā€‹ā€

The origins of the Spanish flu are still unknown. The reason why it was called the Spanish flu, was because Spain was one of the few countries that had a free press at that time, so most of the reporting of the virus were coming out of Spain.

Most infectious disease research points to Kansas as source of the 1918 flu

You are right about Spanish uncensored reports but the Kansas Historical Society says it was home grown

Anyway, buy the valved masks to protect your face in winter. Donā€™t buy it thinking it protects you or vulnerable people around you such as your grand parents like a N-95 or a K95 mask. The US is approaching 200,000 new cases a day. Weā€™re #1. Take it seriously folks and know non valved masks are the things to buy to lower spread.

2 Likes

I have a similar model, those ā€œholesā€ are perforated, so the hole is there, you have to remove the perforated part to clip it to the ā€œvalveā€

I agree that these will allow your unfiltered breath out - but you can toss a regular mask over it and take advantage of the room inside these things.

2 Likes

I bought a set of five of theseā€¦ theyā€™re kind of weird. Yes, they are obviously from China (but isnā€™t almost everything?). The material is nice; the stitching is niceā€¦ the fit is a bit oddā€¦ they suit me just fine but my husband isnā€™t the biggest fan (he says you need a ā€˜bird headā€™ for them to fit correctly as they protrude out oddly from the face). The ā€˜valveā€™ probably will be a problem if you try to fly, so have a back-up. When you breathe in, the piece of plastic covers the valve hole. When you exhale, it moves away from the hole. In the end, it probably is more for ā€˜playing alongā€™ comfortably with a mask mandate and not quite so likely to prevent the spread of COVID (at least not from you to others, should you breathe heavily).

2 Likes

One size fits most. I guess that I am not part of ā€œmost.ā€ The images do not show the strap that goes behind your neck and connects with velcro. Those straps will not even go far enough around my neck to touch each other. I have tried a lot of masks and while some of them were too tight to be comfortable I have never been unable to at least put the mask on until I tried one of these. They would be great for my teenage daughter and her boyfriend but not for a larger man (6ā€™02" and definitely not skinny).

1 Like

My N95 masks at work have valves lol

Then please show them the CDC and other citations posted because your staff are placing each other at risk. They are not thinking things through. We did this before the CDC stated it. We researched international literature and the science behind the need to mask. You need to place a standard surgical mask on top of the valved N-95 or sketchy quality K95 mask else those around the wearer are exposed to microdroplets. And since some will be asymptomatic, that means potential exposures.

Buy valved masks for sports in Winter and even then maintain physical distancing.

Valved masks were issued for those fighting fires etc. Not designed nor intended for medical use. They are prohibited in our health centers as long as we have N-95 masks. Read up. One death or chronic long sequelae of COVID-19 in your workplace or the family of a worker and it no longer will be a LOL issue to any of you. Take this thing seriously.

Iā€™d like to know where you all think the air in a standard surgical mask goes? Literally the only protection cloth and surgical masks give you is from small droplets and maybe keeping you from touching your face. When you exhale in a cloth or surgical mask there is really no significant filtration going on. Air escapes freely through gaps around your nose and face.

1 Like