Shield Safe Reusable Silicone Face Mask

Shield Safe Reusable Silicone Face Mask

I have tried the Gill Mask, B2 Mask, the Get It Right silicone mask, and now this one. This is the first silicone sealed mask that actually fits my nose correctly with no nose leaks once I pull it down my nose bridge slightly.

The Shield Safe mask still leaks slightly around my goatee (can tell by cool air felt near chin when breathing in), but that was expected. The GIR mask is pretty useless, as there is no seal around the edges of the filter element which would prevent air from flowing around, and there is no nose wire or means of conforming it to your nose. The Gill mask has high flow restriction and low breathability because the filter area is so small. The B2 mask is compact and has better breathability, but the nose area never seals completely for me (common complaint so far).

For the Shield Safe mask, the breathability is decent, but I wouldn’t use this while running or working hard. It seals better if you get a strap that goes behind your head, keeping the loops off the back of your ears. The plastic frame insert fits behind 4 silicone tabs and seems to maintain a good seal around the edge of the filter element. However, the filters are flat, so there will always be a side where the filter folds over slightly once the filter conforms to the frame and inside of the mask.

Overall this is possibly the best silicone seal face mask I have tried so far. It’s perfect for short trips to the store, but longer use may make lead to sweat buildup around the seal. Note that fitting results will likely depend on the shape of your face; I have a sharp, tall nose and I usually get a “medium” size for cloth masks.