Asus Chromebook Flip 10.1" Convertible Laptop

Asus Chromebook Flip 10.1" Convertible Laptop

No longer receiving updates and not 1080p resolution

6 Likes

This is the first-gen Asus Flip; I think it’s from 2014-2015, and of course as the listing says and as Larry points out, it doesn’t receive OS updates anymore. For that reason alone it’s way overpriced and not worth anywhere near $170.

Beyond that, it was nice for what it was: an early convertible Chromebook, comparable to the contemporary Acer R11, but smaller and more portable. The Asus really is about the size of a 10" tablet, and I’m OK with the resolution at that display size. Everything else on it is small, however, so typing and using the small touchpad weren’t particularly comfortable. Performance was acceptable.

But yeah, as an unsupported, obsolete Chromebook this is probably worth $50, tops.

5 Likes

My man!

WARNING - DO NOT BUY

Device went End of Life in 2020; this means no more security updates / bug fixes / etc will be released for this device. If you are looking for a Chromebook that will “just work”, this is not what you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for a Chromebook to tinker with and know what you’re doing, carry on.

Screen resolution isn’t the greatest, but is what it is at this price point.

Woot Staff: The End Of Life date should be at the top of the specs; it’s the single most important spec when buying a Chromebook.

3 Likes

For those concerned the Chromebook is no longer getting updates should consider a more robust OS on it for free in any of the Linux distros i.e Ubuntu, and Mint.

Its very simple to do and you get a free more secured OS!

1 Like

“More secured” as in it gets regular updates, yes, but ChromeOS itself is highly secure as long as it’s still supported by Google. I say that as someone who detests Google and prefer any OS to Android or Chrome.

With that said, as others have mentioned this device is out of support from Google, so it is not only overpriced, it shouldn’t be bought at all unless one intends to install a third party OS (I recommend GalliumOS for these low powered Chromebooks, it’s Ubuntu based and made specifically for Chromebooks). Again though, this is about $100 too expensive for what it is.

3 Likes

Completely agreed; this is why I mention the above :slight_smile: