KN95 Face Mask (Pack of 50)

KN95 Face Mask (Pack of 50)

Is this approved by the FDA? The link provided days that some masks are approved and others aren’t, there’s no indication that these masks are approved. Can someone confirm FDA approval status?

2 Likes

As noted on the box and their location in the Tools section, these are non-medical masks.

Hahaha, she said, “Tools section”. I know a lot of peeps who belong there.

3 Likes

Not medically certified? AND I just purchased 100 certified KN95 masks for $33 from another online vendor. Bad deal!

1 Like

I think there might be confusion between what is called a non-medical mask and those that are certified by the FDA and/or the CDC. I think they’re two different things. Anyone out there know the difference (if there is one) and can explain it?

I think the ones sold to consumers are labeled as non-medical because they wouldn’t be used in a medical setting (those would be reserved for medical professionals) and the certification thing is whether the masks are made to a certain manufacturing standard.

Again, if anyone has more information, that would be awesome.

2 Likes

Use this website to find FDA approved manufactures.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-euas

3 Likes

Where at, dudereeno?

Masks used in a medical setting would be to protect the user from pathogens, airborne particles etc. and would have testing and certification such as from NIOSH, FDA and can be used in a medical setting.

Non-medical have no established standard or certification, but can be evaluated by and independent agency for effectiveness in what level of protection it can offer.

Surgical masks are certified by ASTM, not great for small airborne particles. They are guaranteed sterile when packaged, during surgical procedure they are a barrier between the user and patient, to protect the patient from getting infection etc. They offer some protection from viruses, but more for keeping particles from leaving the Dr./nurse and entering surgically open body.

5 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Just got these. They are >95% efficacy. 5 layers, 2 melt blown fabric,2layers PP non woven fabric, 1 layer hot air cotton.
The K stands for Korean. It is their testing certification for Efficacy. I am guessing that there may be European standards too.
Fit is loose for me but I wear a 6 7/8 hat. (that’s small) A clip between the two straps fixed that.
My state has changed what is allowed 3 or 4 times. So it’s better to be prepared.

3 Likes

I spoke with my primary care doctor a few days ago and she said the KN95 mask would be OK while double-masking.
She added that I should look for NIOSH approval as well.
There are NIOSH approved KN95 masks on Amazon - at a higher price.

2 Likes

ALL masks have that disclaimer on consumer sites, even the surgical masks. It’s a CYA.

These are “K”N95 masks. Not N95. Whether you want to justify it claiming they’re of Korean origin or standards, point is they’re not FDA approved. They’re a glorified dust filter as far as masks are concerned. Of course if you contact a PCP they’re going to tell you it’s fine. Because it is. Medical professions don’t want you to hoard their masks… as you shouldn’t.
But I don’t care, you should just be aware of the product your purchasing.
Don’t agree with me? Then just ignore me.

1 Like

As per the specs page:

This KN95 mask is NOT an N95 mask.

3 Likes

The k does NOT stand for Korea
Kn95 is china’s version of n95 standard the problem is China is the largest counterfeiters in the world and masks are no exception plus there is basically no good oversight

the design of these masks indicates they are likely to not meet official kn95 standard
Example the straps aren’t wrapped to be cinched tight
Who knows about the actual quality of the layers

2 Likes

Yes these are made in China. KN is a China designation. The info I used came from a NY times article attributed the K to a Korean testing facility. KF95 is Korean Filter mask designation.
CNET suggested three tests you can do. Smell sacarin with and without the mask. Can you blow out a match. Does the mask hold water.
I don’t have saccharin but I do have minty mouthwash. With mask I can barely smell it. At the same distance my eyes watered. These held water, and I couldn’t blow out a butane lighter.
With any mask I still use caution. 95 is not 100.

3 Likes

Here’s some additional information.