Jim Beam Cast Iron Wok

Jim Beam Cast Iron Wok

Are the handles cast iron too?

Looks like it to me:

1 Like

Check out the dimensions before you suffer disappointment: 10.5" wide, a bit under 3.5" deep. Not a family-meal-sized wok!

6 Likes

So I guess, being cast iron, these would work okay on an induction cook-top. Might be kind of cool for “Stir-Fry Night” if everyone has one of these instead of a plate? About the same size, anyway… I’ve had similarly-priced dinnerware before. You would probably have to get inventive with trivets to cut down on the char marks on the tabletop.

4 Likes

I don’t think this would work well on an induction stove. It’s got a round bottom, and because it’s so heavy it’s difficult to maneuver. I have one. Got it a few years ago. I hate it. It doesn’t come with anything to set it on, so it could tip over at any time if you aren’t careful. I could never get it to season properly so it just made the food Grey and unappealing. Pro tip: never cook Thanksgiving-sized mashed potatoes in cast iron. So, mine is a lot bigger, but a steel wok is infinitely better. Or, anything other than cast iron in particular.

7 Likes

Too small for me, even for two people.

3 Likes

Got ours 6 months ago and use it every day. It has a permanent home on our stovetop. Makes perfect round fried eggs for bagel sandwiches due to the curved shape, and we stir fry in it as well. It is smaller than a traditional steel wok, but it’s more than big enough for 3 in our house.

Someone said it has a round bottom; this is totally false, there’s a 5” diameter flat on the bottom and it’s very stable. Also if you can’t get it to season properly, you’re doing it wrong… check out YouTube videos — cast iron is cast iron and requires certain treatment, but once you know how to do it, it’s fantastic to cook with.

TBH, This was a total impulse buy, so I half expected a fail, but we’ve been extremely happy with this cast iron wok and have even gotten rid of the big steel one.

14 Likes

Does this mean the handles are included in the 12" measurement since it is listed as a 12" wok in the title? Or is it like TVs and this is a 12" class wok which actually means it is something kinda near 12" but not actually?

Also, now that I think about it… the title, “Jim Beam 12’’ Pre Seasoned Heavy Duty Construction Cast Iron Grilling Wok,” is quite amusing… “Construction” + “Cast” are really two different manufacturing techniques… I’m assuming this is actually Cast rather than Constructed?

Here’s a review video with a little more information, the measurement shown below is ~14.5" across the handles and 12" bowl edge to edge.

The video posted in comments (with actually tape-measured proof) would seem to prove that you are not correct.

I don’t know if the pan in the video is the same one as this, but the measurments shown in the picture here on Woot, converted to (approx) inches are:

In the Amazon listing Q & A’s, someone mentions that the listed dimensions are wrong. There are also review photos with a tape measure which agree with the above video measurements.

https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Beam-Seasoned-Construction-Grilling/dp/B07FBJ6QKW/

Ummm, yeah - the Amazon bullet points are definitely just a bit off:
wok amazon measurments

:crazy_face:

I love cast iron cookware and we occasionally do some basic wok cooking for two (which makes this a good size for us), but this cast iron wok is an incredibly specialized pan that I don’t think is all that useful.

Yes, you could use it on an induction cooktop, BUT… typical wok cooking in small batches involves moving the pan around to mix and flip the ingredients, sometimes frequently, which is not what induction cooktops are good for. Also, this is not the type of pan that lends itself easily to handling, at 6 pounds! For the care needed and the ease of cooking, a carbon-steel wok would be a superior choice (I never recommend non-stick coatings on a wok).

If you are comfortable using cast iron and are willing to do the pre-seasoning this will require then it is a good price at $20. But if you do get it be prepared and be patient - even the video posted above showed a lot of initial sticking (which should reduce over time and seasoning) and can really be a bummer for those new to cast iron. Also pay attention to the fact the video shows doing very small batches (the pork he cooked was done in three parts) and the finish is not very smooth. Prepare to cook with a LOT of oil, at least in the beginning.

Just my two cents worth!

3 Likes

How to Season Cast Iron
Though cast iron may seem indestructible, it has a few weak points. If you wash your skillet like any other pan, for example, exposure to oxygen and moisture will result in rust. To maximize the longevity of your cast iron cookware, you need to give it a protective, shiny, non-stick coat of fat. This process — known as seasoning — is easier than you think. Here’s how:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thoroughly wash your new skillet using an abrasive sponge or brush, hot water, and soap. This is the only time you will use soap to clean your skillet.
Immediately rinse your skillet and dry it with a towel. Be sure to designate a particular towel or rag for this purpose, as cast iron tends to stain cloth.
Use a paper towel to apply a coat of shortening or oil to all surfaces of your skillet (even the handles). Crisco, vegetable or flaxseed oil work fine, but I use organic coconut oil:)
Lay a sheet of aluminum foil or a cookie pan on the bottom rack of your oven. This will catch any oil drops that fall during the seasoning process.
Once preheating is complete, place your skillet upside down on the top rack of your oven.
Bake for one hour.
Turn off the heat and let the skillet cool inside the oven. Do not try to cool the skillet with ice or cold water, as this could cause cracking and warping.
For the best results, repeat steps No. 4 through No. 8 twice or even three times.
Note: You should season your new cast iron cookware the moment you pull it from the box. If your cast iron is “pre-seasoned,” re-season it once food starts to stick.

There are many ways to season. I am just sharing one of many, many.

I received mine today. Its pretty disappointing.
The finish is very rough like sandpaper. Anything I cook in it will be stuck forever.

I’m sorry. If you don’t feel like putting elbow grease in to sand/season, reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

1 Like