HP 14" Intel Dual-Core 64GB Win10 Notebooks

HP 14" Intel Dual-Core 64GB Win10 Notebooks

Looks like the Ram on this is not soldered on and is replaceable (guessing 16gb is the max according to chipset). Unfortunately the hard drive is soldered to the mainboard and is not replaceable or upgradable. Low screen resolution of 720p is not HD, but also not too bad for a 14" display. Not a terrible PC if only needed for light office/school work, but if you can wait, these are often offered new at around $249 during black Friday and other sale events.

3 Likes

“4GB DDR4-2400 memory - For multitasking power”

I nearly spat coffee at my screen when I read that. 4 GB is barely enough to run a piggy OS these days, and don’t get me started about that terrible screen or eMMC storage that is basically a ticking time bomb.

This is effectively a Chromebook-spec machine with Windows installed on it. Expect to upgrade to a real SSD and max out the RAM if you really want to use it but then you’re stuck with the low-end dual-core Celeron.

If you’re tech enough, you might be able to run a “lightweight” Linux distro on it, but most mainstream Linux distros aren’t lightweight these days.

2 Likes

STAY AWAY - STAY FAAAAAAAAR AWAY

Everything is wrong with this, including the fact that Woot expects you to pay for this POS.

4 Likes

Actually, I have one of these as a travel PC. Regarding storage, everyone seems to overlook that you can insert a micro SD card and go into the device settings and flip toggles to load all documents, programs and apps to drive “D,” the micro SD card. That results in just the Windows 10 operating system remaining on drive “C”. " Not a gaming computer for sure. But, plenty capable for email, web surfing and documents. I was surprised how quickly pages loaded with just 4 gigs of ram.

2 Likes

Sure the specs are not wonderful, but having installed Windows 10 on a multitude of machines as old as 10, even 12 years old, I’ve been amazed at how usable the results have been, assuming they had solid state drives (SSD).

I recall only one machine that remained a bit sluggish, even if minimally usable - a ten year old Toshiba N505 netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter, an Atom cpu, and 2GB RAM. Don’t recall if it had been bumped to 4GB RAM but it did have an SSD.

If you’re mainly using it for Internet browsing and Microsoft Office stuff, 64GB of storage might do the job. But don’t be expecting snappy performance if you like to operate with loads of browser tabs open on 4GB of RAM. (Although most of the browser have gotten better at managing memory.)

But sure, personally, I’d probably spend just a few more bucks and look for an off-lease built like a tank business grade Dell Latitude laptop if I were looking for a toss around, don’t worry about it laptop. From the right vendor, some of those even offer 12 month warranties vs this 90-day, gotta deal with HP, warranty.

3 Likes

I am not here to compare our tech prowess private parts, but I do want to offer a rebuttal to your claims. I have 2 Surface Pro 4s that have been my EDC for 3 or 4 years now. Both have 4G. I am constantly using them for online research, light video editing with Windows 10 Video Editor, Zoom hosting, PowerPoint presentations, Netflix, remote support of my customers computers, and the stuff that everyone does with computers like email and online shopping. Would I like more than 4G? Absolutely. Are these computers functional with just 4G? Absolutely.
I won’t argue that gaming would be unsatisfactory on a 4G dual core, but for a couple hundred bucks, a student could easily get by with one of these.

1 Like

I agree with your Win 10 point @bluemaple. My laptop at home is 14 (!) years old. It has Win 10 installed and I get perfectly acceptable performance from it.

1 Like

Interesting to note that the “factory rehab” HP I got had a sticker that said, "For warranty service, RETURN TO SELLER. The one I got had a drive that died on day 89 from the day it was DELIVERED and Woot refunded the purchase.